AMD Confirms Departure Of Graphics Chief Raja Koduri

Everyone already knew this was happening when the internal memo leaked.

Not sure why it was kept so (almost childishly) cloak and dagger…

Will be checking back on tom’s tomorrow to see the trolls infect their comment section (and highlighting the best ones here for 'discusion :smiley: )

In no way do I see vega as a ‘disaster’ that most pcmr people make it out to be… but that is just my opinion.

Edit: just saw that I am late to the party and that there is already plenty of discussion in the lounge… it’s just so damn hard to keep up with that monster thread.

5 Likes

If I remember right that earlier Vega time thing, it was something about taking break and then focusing to area he is interested about

and this one would be like how it turned out to be after having a bit pondering time

because NDAs are a thing in contracts :stuck_out_tongue: Even if it’s “public knowledge”, you’re not allowed to say it officially.

To be honest I totally missed his “break” :confused: He’ll probably come back at some point.

1 Like

These kind of departures take time to negotiate. They are always kept under raps cause the process would otherwise negatively affect the stock price. Also it is usually hidden by the employees as well until final, so that it will not disrupt their work and because it is customary that the person leaving the company to be the one that announces it to them. And that he can do only when the process is finalized.

you know, honestly. I think this is for the best. I feel lisa su might be beneficial in the lead, and I also feel amd needs new blood in the ati/radeon department. take a look at vega. it was all under Raja. The marketing, the engineering, the development. Everything. Look what happened with it. Is it good for linux users? Sure. is it good for miners? Sure. but so are tons of nvidia cards. Put bluntly, nvidia cards perform better, consume less power, and are in the same price range when compared to their amd counter parts. Vega was a loss, whether anyone likes it or not when putting it up to bat against nvidia. The only benefit vega provided was an upgrade option for rx580 owners who want to stick with open source linux drivers. That’s literally it. They mine monero like a beast, but they aren’t cost effective when compared to 580/480 cards. HBM2 was an innovative idea, but it proved costly and underutilized.

I’m sad that vega didnt pan out like everyone wanted it to, but I’m happy that it’s at a turning point. I’m just hoping they can churn out something good without it taking 2-3 years. I’m also worried that by the time they manage power efficiency on vega, the performance is going to get swamped by the next thing nvidia comes out with. radeon needs new blood. I really think raja leaving was for the better.

This is coming from someone who went from nvidia to amd. I love my vega despite all the bad press, the power consumption and the whole mess behind it. It performs great and runs on open source drivers, and gives me tinker room with mining. It’s not the top dog but I’m content with it, at least for the MSRP price.

1 Like

He’s going to work at Intel

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanshrout/status/928342985422471169

RAJA NO

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12017/intel-to-develop-discrete-gpus-hires-raja-koduri-as-chief-architect

1 Like

Yes.

He worked for Apple, then AMD and now Intel. Pretty nice career. I like Raja, he’s always been a pretty cool guy in interviews. More geek/engineer than anything.

Josh Walrath wrote a little thing about Raja:

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Raja-Koduri-Leaves-AMD-and-Joins-Intel-Build-Discrete-Graphics

Intel seems like they have made a good choice. I met Raja many years ago at a Comdex when ATI was putting on a “Matrix” show. Their graphics hardware was still based on the then new Radeon dual pipeline, triple texture unit setup. This was just after ArtX was acquired, but still a little while before the DX8 Radeon 8500 release. I later had the chance to have breakfast with Raja in late 2007 at the AMD Phenom editor’s day. He is a very thoughtful, erudite, and pleasant individual. He is knowledgeable and creative. He also is a very hard worker who is able to interact well with those around him. It is not often that “Bad Raja” has to rear his head, but that aspect of his personality is there as well. These things are all wrapped up together to give Intel the potential to be much more competitive in the years to come than they have been anywhere in the past.

1 Like

Rajatel

9 Likes

Thanks @Cavemanthe0ne for the idea :smiley:

raja

3 Likes

Right on time for the agreement between Intel and AMD to make mobile Intel CPUs with AMD integrated graphics…

1 Like

Hmm so how did “I took a month off and now want to spend more time with my family” turn into “Headhunted by Intel to head new graphics division”?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s all part of a deal between AMD and Intel.

1 Like

Again pretty commonly used as an excuse between changing jobs and negotiating departures of ppl is such high ranked jobs. Stockmarkets and employees do not get too stressed that way.

Wait what? Tkhis is a joke right I literally just saw an interview with Raja like a week ago and he was talking about future cards and shit wtf? And what memo?

Wait intel? Ok I can see where this is going.

Or raja is just losing his mind, which is equally possible.

Are you also thinking we are now looking at a replicant that has replaced Raja?! Give him some food, see if he eats it.

Don’t feed him after midnight though, or put him in water.