AMD Computex Livestream

im looking for an mini itx motherboard and ill plop it in a in win chopin for a beast HTPC… if I can find one

Chopin doesn’t support any GPUs, you’d have to get the rumored APUs with that case.

dont need one as it will be the netflix/family picture pc, the 4670 graphics will do fine

Zen2 looks really promising. 3700X for enthusiasts, and that leaked $99 4c/8t chip for budget builds.

Navi they compared against a RTX 2070. Womp, womp.

I am happy, plan on upgrading to 3900x, it should in theory improve my video encoding with 100% increase over the 1800x with multi threaded work.

1 Like

In that case, 2400G. Lots of Chopin Ryzen 5 2400G builds out there.

man the steam charts for peoples pc hardware is gonna get a spike of AMD for sure lol

@FurryJackman I want to reuse my old i5, still runs like it did day one, all I need is the case and mobo so thats my plan. :stuck_out_tongue:

iGPU is still kinda weak and Chopin doesn’t fit any GPUs. None.

You’re better getting a Node 202 if you want to run the i5 with a RX 550.

Intel struggles with gaming in a post Meltdown/Spectre/RIDL/Zomieload/etc. world, if you actually secure the box and turn hyperthreading off…

1 Like

actually you just reminded me, I wonder how much effort they went into making sure nothing like that could happen with this new gen of Zen (hehe it rhymed). would have been cool to hear how or if they did testing like that

Called it in another thread. We’ve pretty much hit the end of clock-speed ramps folks. Its been coming for over a decade now…

IPC matters more. Prove me wrong.

As long as they can keep churning out 15% IPC gains every 2 years, nobody will care.

Of course shrinking process nodes is even harder still!

AMD has designed their CPUs in a way that is not vulnerable since bulldozer or earlier.

That only applies to one specific exploit. AMD CPUs are vulnerable to Spectre type exploits, as they use branch prediction.

There’s no indication Zen2 changes that, and it would be nearly impossible to do so without a whole new architecture anyway. All they can add are hardware mitigations, which mean your OS doesn’t need to be patched to be protected from these exploits but don’t insulate from any performance impacts.

1 Like

Wasn’t referring to spectre as that impacts pretty much every current CPU. But AMD are still less performance impacted than intel with the mitigations, and the meltdown/ridl/zombieload stuff AMD have not been vulnerable to because they don’t design their speculative execution the retarded way.

2 Likes

Im not going to count my chickens yets. The TDP’s have been lean and mean so far.

But news sites are saying MB’s need to support 300 Watts. Maybe some gaming love it is still coming.

Just keeping them blue like Lisa Su. Waiting to June 10 now.

new motherboards likely need to support 16 cores/32 threads… and maybe AMD have some performance up their sleeve for an extreme edition pushing serious power through it…

Well the 12 core chip is 105W and $499. Will AMD have a binned in your face chip that use power.
Threadripper 2950X is 180W. 7nm “should be” less unless they push clocks and keep power high.

Well, the socket is the same, so I don’t think the motherboards care about core count, as long as the power is there? PCIe4 might be the new thing mobo’s need to support?