AMD 5900x getting stuck at 500mhz

Hello,

I have an odd one and am starting to run out of ideas on what the source of the issue is.
I am running a Ryzen 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII (Wi-Fi), Evga 3080ti FTW, 32gb gskill 3600 and a 1300w platinum Seasonic PSU with the CPU and GPU water cooled in a very overkill setup. Everything in bios is set to default with the exception of turning on DOCP. The 5900x that I have installed is my second as something went sideways in the first one where no Chromium based browser or linux live usb would work at all.

The issue I have been running into randomly over the last few months is that out of nowhere all cores get stuck between 500-1000mhz. When this happens the cpu being stuck carries over to a linux live cd and even today I updated the bios while it was happening and it did not fix. The only way to fix it is to do a full power down and drain the system then everything is fine. Today I decided to open Ryzen Master while it was happening and noticed the CPU was only 30c but the PPT was maxed at 100% of 142w and the SOC was around 24w, CPU power was 15w. The PPT and SOC stood out as they were redlining on the little gauge. I have also had it twice now where I will walk away from my computer to come back and the screen is black with the board giving a 00 code (No CPU) again always fixed with a full drain.

I have found a few posts about this on google with no real fixes. I have tried a new CMOS battery, updating the BIOS, turning off fast boot with no luck. With this being as random as it is, it can be hard to tell if anything has fixed it. I have had the issue 4 times in 1 week and this last time was 2 weeks between issues. I have contemplated turning off DOCP and see if that does anything or swap out for a 3800x I have and see if if the issue follows the CPU. One thing that is standing out and might be part of the issue is the first time this happened I opened the Asus Armoury Crate and it updated which was the same thing I did today when this happened.

Any ideas on other things I can try before I start going down the take everything a part road would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

check to see if theres a firmware update for your chipset on the motherboard manufacturers site.
i dont mean a bios/eufi update. i mean an actual chipset update.

sounds like you may need a bios update also…
or maybe a downgrade if you updated it recently.

I think you might have a bad mobo

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.