AMD 5800X - First SFF build with optical drive

So, while upgrading from my trusty i7-4790K-based system I decided to go the SFF route, with the goal of keeping as many parts from my previous build as possible, so that I can continue to claim to have been using the same PC for 15 years, much like Gimli’s axe or the ship belonging to some guy named Theseus.

In the end I wanted to keep the following components:

• Corsair HX620 ATX PSU
  • Optical drive for the odd Blu-Ray rip
  • 2.5-ish slot ASUS RTX 2060 Super
  • Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm tower cooler
  • Storage devices

In the end, the only case I really liked that fit the bill was Silverstone’s recently announced SUGO 14: especially the requirement for a 5.25" drive bay really slimmed down the available selection.

The final build comprises these components (in bold new additions specifically for this build):

• Case: Silversone SUGO 14
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • GPU: ASUS RTX 2060 Super Dual OC
  • MB: ASUS Strix B550-I Gaming
  • RAM: 32GB (2x 16GB) 3600MHz Corsair
  • Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
  • Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A12-15 low-profile PWM fans
  • Boot SSD: Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SATA
  • SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB SATA
  • SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SATA
  • HDD: WD Green 3TB SATA
  • ODD: LG Blu-Ray reader-writer

Old and new:

Regarding the low-profile fans, the one in the rear (exhaust) was needed only due to Noctua’s metal clips extending slightly further out compared to the cooler width, which by itself fit juuuust right (1-1.5mm space) with a standard-width 25mm rear fan, while the side-intake fan is required to with any tower cooler.

Additionally, while the case’s manual mentions a low height limit for the cooler if a 3.5" drive is to be installed in the rear-most position, a “proper” tower cooler can fit, if it’s rotated 90°, as can be seen here:

4 Likes

Very very cool build, love it! I just got into the SFF builds with an RVZ03.
4.4L more space really make a lot of difference, wow. If I hadn’t installed an SFF PSU in my case it would’ve been impossible to put away all the excess cables (can’t legally say cable management because you can’t really do it in that case).

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.