AMD 3960X System Random Reboots

yes, psu absolutely can make a difference. On ryzen desktop I had two older green lable corsair cx psu that had the issue but newer gray label ones have been fine. I rma’d one and kept one that can reliably reproduce idle lockups on some boards

2 Likes

Interesting, my HX1000 is the newer gray one. I have an EVGA G6 on order, when it comes in I will give it a go. I know my HX1000 is solid but perhaps it is just quirky with my particular board. Looking online at PC Part Picker and a few other places I don’t really see anyone using my board with the HX1000.

Think it must also depend on the motherboard to have that bad interaction.

Currently using a Corsair HX-850 and HX-1000 power supply on ASUS Crosshair VII Hero motherboards and AMD R9 -3950X cpus with no issues.

1 Like

hmm all I can tell you is what I experience on my 5950x
3960x I ran with a basic all core overclock, no advanced settings at all [email protected] 3200mhz 16-18-18-36 and had no such troubles and I did 9hrs+ stress test

on 5950x

• using either stock bios or PBO only nothing else if you cannot run sveeral cinebenc runs without crashing your memory settings are the problem, stock/pbo settings should not crash
  • I don’t know how you set up your overclock but if you have one try raising voltage by 50mv if there’s a change then that’s the reason

now if raising your voltage(s) works then it’s a bit complicated to know exactly what’s the problem because of the many different voltages and frequencies Ryzen used depending on how many cores are active
personnally I had crashes mostly on opening menus, browser or simply clicking to close a window poof instant reboot or in games, seems to me like thats when cpu frequencies voltages suddenly rise or fall with core count usage so i raised it everywhere…seems to work

I fixed (hopefully !) it by using clock tuner ryzen and tweaking P1(set to 12+ cores)-P2(set for 4-11 cores)-PX (set to 1-3 cores) frequencies and voltages
but to be honest it took me a good month of reboots before I found stable settings, takes a lot of time

intel : 50x100=5ghz set voltage to 1.3xv activate xmp = profit
amd : tweak per CCX frequencies and per core usage voltages it’s a lot more trouble

p.s.
messing with bios settings like curve optimizer gave me more reboots so I gave up I’m running either stock bios with PBO and XMP (manually limited to 3600/1800 max) or stock bios with custom clock tuner ryzen settings (versus PBO you gain not only performance but a much cooler idle)
I ran/run a Corsair HX1200i btw

and

Were you using any manual LLC setting or just set to Auto? LLC will prevent the extreme voltage deviations when loading or unloading cores.

Well guys I had been trouble free for around a week after installing my new PSU. Today though I experienced a restart, this one was just like all the others. I stepped away from my computer for a few hours and when I returned it had restarted. Event viewer shows the same infamous Kernel-Power Event 41. I do notice that AMD has released a new chipset driver as of 6-2-21, I am going to cross my fingers and install.

Right now I don’t have an overclock other than running RAM with an XMP profile enabled. I also tried setting all my RAM settings manually. BIOS is on default settings, I believe that sets PBO to “auto”.

Just disabled the global C-states again. Interestingly enough this time my boost clocks are still working the same as before. I think I will just run this way and see how things go, I don’t mind a little more power usage if it makes my system stable at idle.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.