Amazon wants your unencrypted data

I think the cases where they could have the same data between customers is pretty rare? I’d bet lots that I dont have the same data as you.

1 Like

then you could dectrypt your neighbors files with your own key?

I’m not sure that would count as encrypted?

#NeverUsedDe-DupeMyself

I have a bunch of excel files with similar headers, and some exe’s with largely the same code, and some media files with similar bits?

If it was unencrypted, all the identical blocks across all the customers could be replaced with a single one?

I think if it was an excuse for Amazon’s shenanigans, it’s pretty weak. I think it’s about being able to look into files for their own purposes. We alrady know they steal customer product info to make their own “Amazon Basics” products etc.

1 Like

fair enough.
I would not trust their encryption, even if it was client side, but just asking

1 Like

Even if it saved some data space (and I seriously doubt it really does), it doesn’t outweigh our own privacy and security. Plus, if they found that data usage was out of line with their pricing, they can adjust their pricing instead of stripping our security away.

1 Like

It would not justify it. Even if that was the reason, it would not.

1 Like

My apologies to the people who freak out at an 8 day old thread bumping… But did anyone else notice “other files” also can’t be “encrypted”? How the hell would they know if it’s encrypted text files or a binary data blob from a data logger keeping track of the growing conditions of your suicidal pumpkins?
Are they basically saying “if we don’t recognise the data format, we don’t want it stored here”?

3 Likes

Yeah, we noticed. Pretty evil.

Yep, pretty much what it is. I wanna try storing gigabytes of data inside the jpeg image… or inside excel file since they might be compressing those image files. Assuming they still give free 5GB of storage.

There has got to be a project doing this somewhere. Let me see.

Maybe this, and put encrypted files into it as blobs?
https://github.com/mysql/mysql-for-excel
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/blob.html

It would be incredible inefficient, but cool.

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s all about disobedience :stuck_out_tongue: But really everyone should just stop using Amazon drive…

1 Like

Silly rabbit, the reason why they graciously offer this service to you is so they could machine learn all the things about you. No they don’t know why they need this data, something about having the longest ****, it’s just an industry best practice at the moment you know.

1 Like

Can we feed them garbage data? I wanna have a billionaire persona :stuck_out_tongue: Will Amazon start offering me to buy a private islands and then have like similar items that people bought in the same price category :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like