Amazon thinks the tech community is stupid

If you buy through a third party seller on Amazon its worth checking that seller doesn't have the same thing for sale cheaper on their own website. Amazon sells some cheap products and gouges you on others. Got to watch out for them.

Welcome to Amazon. They been doing this since the beginning of time. Also the price changed via the time. It's cheaper from 8am-6pm than 2am. So they targeting the neckbeards who are tired. The price is supply and demand. I've never used Amazon til 2009 or so. When it wil take longer to ship from ebay. Say I want it to come in a week instead of 1-2 weeks on ebay. I mean they got the 3930k for like $580 when you can get one used for around 200 on ebay. Same thing happens when back in the bitcoin days when they sold out of the 7970s,280x and 290x. It retailed at 299 if i remembered correctly then the following months sold as high as 475-500 on amazon. Feel so sorry for those bitcoin bloats who did bought them at those prices.

For the best Illuminati prices go to microcenter. If you dont' mind used use ebay.

Found some interesting ripoffs in Amazons end of year sale.

Both video cards are being sold by Amazon ( you can check the new price listings. Their listing matches the advertised price.) and has had their original listing price changed to double the MSRP for the card. The new sale price comes in a little bit under the MSRP and they try to BS you a 50% savings.

This may be in the wrong category sorry if it is.

As far as i know this kind of practice is perfectly fine in the US?

Interestingly the US amazon doesn't show the new and used prices under the main price, it does on the UK Amazon meaning if this kind of thing was legal in the UK (it isnt) youd see 20 new from 600 right under the 50% off price of 600

Yes pretty sure it is legal but still a ripoff for people to be aware of. I was just getting ready to order a mouse and hard drive from them in a couple days. Now that I noticed it I will order then from some place else.

They price it on supply & demand. If they are up on stock they will lower the price. As soon as they get a few sales prices go back up. Dynamic pricing and in a way a faster way to make a buck in profits.

They do this to all their products....

Why is anyone surprised?

1 Like

The price tweaking is automated on Amazon. You will see this on most products.

Some of the other strange pricing is due to market place vendors. A jump in price may happen when Amazon runs out of stock and there is only a market place vendor selling the item.

GPU prices normally suck but CPU prices are normally a little cheaper than Newegg. It is what it is.

Amazon shopper's greatest friend....

http://camelcamelcamel.com/

Everyone does this on black Friday / Boxing day, Because consumers are stupid.

I just found this the other day and it's pretty neat for when you're shopping around online:
http://www.getinvisiblehand.com/

Its just an algo run on all products. Doubt any one is there editing individual products.

amazon on common items is normally the cheapest by far. but for specialty products your best bet is ebay.

newegg and superbiz are good if you need something that's under-stocked or not available on amazon.

if your looking for old parts more obscure sites like starmicroinc can give you a better deal then ebay in some cases.

They do this with everything though. Ignore the "regular" prices or whatever.