AM5 Memory Issue? PSU? Other issue? SOLVED-See BLUF for fast fix

meanwhile I have updated my bios to 1416 and continued to work on the timings. 1.2V for SOC and MC is enough, but my system also needs 1.1 for CLDO VDDP, below 1.1V I have to set UCLK=MCLK to 1:2 to get it stable.

2 Likes

There are a few options that have worked for me. Ill try and help clarify with some bios screen shots to explain.

Here is what the standard values from the BIO’s version with everything on Auto… On auto the voltage is variable depending on load…and with a base value of 1.288 V on CPU SOC with a MAX suggested for X3D chips that can breech that voltage tripping protections it seems which caused the shut downs. ALSO the CPU VDDIO / MC Voltage is 1.385 V… That seems VERY HIGH. Probably why IO Die temps are always in the 40-50C range on the processor.

Now. Here is what I set to get the SOC and MC voltages under control. As you can see with these settings it put the voltages much lower and in control at 1.234v for both settings and keeps them from climbing above that. I think this was the major factor that added to stability for my system stopping the random shutdowns and needing to manually cycle the PSU to reboot.

Now here is where I had options. I can manually set the timmings for my ram, use EXPO I or use EXPO II.

• Manually setting the timings and leaving the “AI Overclock Tuner” on “Auto” allows for slightly higher boot at smaller clock increments
  • EXPO settings seem to better sync to memory clocks in 50MHz increments for CPU frequencies
  • EXPO has 2 settings. EXPO I uses primary timings from RAM and ASUS settings to “Optimize performance” via ASUS description. EXPO II loads the Primary and secondary timings and setting from the RAM only. It has the same frequency behavior as above.
  • Then there is the tweaked setting I haven’t used yet.

I can use any of these options once I set the SOC and MC voltages listed ablove so far without any problems.

Here’s the screen shots to help clarify-

-Here is the EXPO descriptions from ASUS on the bottom of the image tagged with red.

EXPO II set these settings-

Hopefully this will help clarify what I was talking about that helped with stability. If you need more info let me know. Happy to help if I can.

Also, as a second note. With these settings I was able to play with Curve Optimizer a little. So far I have -10 for CCD0 (Vcached Cores) and -15 for CCD1 (Non-Vcached Cores).

2 Likes

Just. Want to say thank you.

This seems to have gotten me stable at 6000mhz on the t-force 6800 kit.

2 Likes

Just thought I’d share. I went back to see if BIO’s had changed for the ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI and it HAS as of a few weeks ago to:

Version 1602 9.24 MB 2023/08/18
1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7c
2. Improve system performance

Now I have not stressed it with a super demanding graphics game, but I was able to remove manual settings of voltages to let the board “do it’s ASUS thing” and I have not ran into any shutdowns or unexpected issues with programs. Well, besides the expected one’s like a 230 mod game freeze lol. Gonna do a deeper dive for giggles on memory hard errors etc and try to compare the two.