AM4 MOBO's a Sh*tshow

Yup that is pretty much the only reasonable choice there is.
At least up to a 3700X and 3800X.

I would not recommend to slam a 3900X on that.
Al though it will of course work, but the vrm will get really hot.
Unless you can really properly cool the vrm.

Still $289,- for that board is just a terrible price.
Unless that are Aussie prices?
Because in Us dollars it should not cost more then $170.- ish.

Canadian Rupees ya im out. Sit on a 4770k for another year. wanna go from 4 to 8 cores

1 Like

Sure it can.

But what i was trying to say is, why would you limit,
a Ryzen 7 system by going with a B450 board?
I mean with those kind cpuĀ“s you would like to get the full,
potential out the platform right?
And then iĀ“m not even talking about overclocking.
But iĀ“m just talking about features in general.
I mean i agree if you donĀ“t need pci-e4.0, then X470,
will be a good choice as well.
But B450 i donĀ“t really see many reasons to go with that,
for a Ryzen 7 cpu.
Because you simply miss out on all the latest and greatest then.

the x470 are zoolander rediculusly expensive $500+

Yeah thatĀ“s why i generally say for Ryzen 7 and up,
just go for X570 by now really.
It does not really make a whole lot of sense,
to go with a 2 year old board by now.

1 Like

Normally it would because sh*ts figued out and is cheaper. but not amd.

Well there has been a time not too long ago,
that certain x470 boards like the Asrock x470 Taichi / Ultimate,
or the Asus Crosshair VII Hero were really great choices.
Because they were significantly cheaper then their x570 counter parts.
And for the x470 Taichi ultimate, that was pretty much the cheapest way to get 10G nic on AMD Ryzen.
Al though Asrock does not support bios flashback on the x470 taichi.

However with the current corona situation,
and those boards getting really old,
and of course many people boaght them already.
They are hard to get, and there for back up expensive again.

1 Like

true nuff next cycle

When Iā€™ve talked to friends building a system who have questions after the fact, or people Iā€™ve helped in forums I see the same issues;

1. They buy the motherboard they can afford, and not the board that has the PCIe layout (or features) for their needs.
  2. They buy the cheapest RAM they can, thinking they can just OC it, not thinking what die modules it has, or if it can hit rated speeds given the DIMMs are dual or quad rank.
  3. Choosing a motherboard that ā€˜looksā€™ good compared to one with a good VRM power delivery and cooling setup, later to complain they canā€™t hit their rated Boost Clock Speeds.
  4. Using a case based on looks and not air flow, causing hot stagnant air within the chassis to cause thermal throttling of all the components.

A lot of those complaints can be derived from one of the 4 issue listed above.

1 Like

Manufacturers not giving a shit
AMD not providing enough information

Column A, Column B.

I fit neither of the four and I had serious issues. Iā€™ve calmed down about it, but the UEFI/Boot times have been utter trash out of the box. It took some serious tweaking to get them manageable. Even then, my 4th gen i5 dances on what I have now.

Whatā€™s your hardware config @AdminDev

3800X
ASUS X570-Pro
32GB Ribjaws V 2666 C15

@AnotherDev letā€™s talk about that RAM for starters. Also, what BIOS revision are you on?

Iā€™m running a 3800X on a AORUS X470 Gaming 7 w/ 32GB TeamGroup 3200mt/s C14 OCā€™d to 3533mt/s C14 w/ 1.45v. OS on a Intel 660p in top M.2 slot. I also have 2 HDDā€™s in RAID 1 via chipset, and a SanDisk 6.4tb PCIe SSD in bottom PCIe slot, and my boot times are pretty quick, Iā€™d say 15-17 seconds at most from cold to typing in password. Itā€™s just a hair faster on boot than my 1800X @ 4.05ghz was in my AORUS x370 Gaming K7 baord w/ the same RAM not OCā€™d.

EDIT: Just timed it, itā€™s actually 40 seconds from cold to typing in password at login. I was a bit off on my guess, still though given everything it has to load through, itā€™s not bad and I have fast boot disabled in BIOS.

Iā€™ll take a rain check. Iā€™ve spent months on this and have had assistance getting it to bearable. I am on the latest BIOS update.

My last computer (i7 4790k) booted in 4 seconds. Thatā€™s pressing power button to logging in. My secondary workstation (i5 45 something) boots in 7 seconds. My AMD boots in 26 seconds.

Needless to say Iā€™m disappointed.

@AnotherDev just checked ASUS site, and QVL list for your board, thereā€™s only one kit mentioned at 2666 C15 speeds by G.Skill and itā€™s the F4-2666C15Q-32GRR kit which from G.Skills website is listed for X99 platform but doesnā€™t mean it wont work on other platforms. That being said, youā€™re running RAM at 2666, when for Zen2 if you want optimal you want 3600mt/s C16, 3600mt/s C14 if you can obtain, to match infinity fabric speeds. Just pointing out the obvious in that you do fall under the category of #2 buying RAM thatā€™s not optimal for your setup. Just saying. Even mine isnā€™t optimal for my 3800X, but the tighter timings help out on that 66mt/s difference.

Lol how is any of what you said ā€œobviousā€? Back in my day, you bought RAM that was compatible and it worked.

No, you said:

Thatā€™s not what I did. I didnā€™t buy the cheapest RAM, nor the cheapest board.

Sounds like AMD sucks at engineering <---- Before anyone blows up this is a joke.

Iā€™m dealing with the consequences of my uninformed purchase. When I did an Intel build, it was easy. I grabbed a mobo, grabbed a CPU, and grabbed some RAM, then went to town. AMD clearly has different features and functionality that makes some components/clocks/RAM more optimal.

@AnotherDev you bought what you could afford, not what fits the needs of what you want. If you didnā€™t buy the cheaper RAM, then why didnā€™t you get 3200mt/s C14 speed RAM or better? Zen2 has native 3200mt/s RAM speed support, and matching the infinity fabric you want 3600mt/s. This information came out shortly after the NDA lifted for reviewers, and they were all over this given Zen and Zen+ based test with RAM issues and performance gains with better RAM.

Youā€™re right, what I said in #2 was ā€˜they buy the cheapest RAM they canā€™ and given you got 2666mt/s vs 3200mt/s, Iā€™d say Iā€™m right, you bought what you could afford and not what fit your needs. That RAM is also not optimal for your setup, because again you bought what you could afford and not what you need. (from what you said above, you reused parts from a old build, is what it is, but it was not a optimal move for a completely different platform)

Given Intel and how anti competitive theyā€™ve been throughout the years, thereā€™s a reason thereā€™s issues with RAM and Ryzen. Notice how like 90% of RAM kits say ā€œIntel XMP Profileā€ or ā€œIntel Z390 Platformā€ etc. Itā€™s because they catered those modules and binned them to be as optimal to work with Intel CPU memory controllers as possible. Now, youā€™re seeing RAM kits saying stuff like ā€œSpecifically designed for AMD Ryzen platformā€ and ā€œRyzen 3000 compatibleā€ because this was such an issue with the IMCā€™s on the DIMMā€™s and the memory controller on the Ryzen CPUā€™s.

I could have afforded a Threadripper third gen or 3950X, but they werenā€™t out yet and my workstation shit the bed.

Micro Center was sold out of CAS 14 RAM.

AMD is no prize either. They censor their own community.

They censor? Iā€™d like to know more.