Am I right to be nervous of EPYC on eBay?

I see a lot of tempting combo deals on eBay like this:

Does this look like a decent deal or bad idea?

Enterprise gear is not super familiar territory to me so I 50/50 know what I’m looking at. My interest is getting more PCIE lanes and ECC.

thanks

Do read up, on the affiliated mainboard n’ such
The enterprise boards would either be Zen1-Zen2 // Zen2-Zen3 support
… Effectively debating, how aggressive will you be, with the PCIe tier [3 vs 4]

The post you linked is from a seller in China. I don’t know where in the world you are, but I am assuming not China.

China sellers usually have some pretty good deals, but the problem with buying from them is difficulty coordinating deliveries/returns. If you are buying all of the components for a build at once, usually you have a return window from the retailer of ~30 days. Shipping from China depends on many factors, so it can take 20-30 days just to receive your shipment. If you bought all of the other components for your build at the same time, you may have already lost most if not all of the return window on other components by the time your parts from China arrive. And if you were shipped a dud, you’re looking at 1-3 months total from the time you spent your money until you get your money back.

I’m not going to tell you not to buy stuff from China, I have a few times. If you do though, be aware that the cheaper prices do come at a cost in increased logistical complexity.

I typically shy away from any purchases from 3rd countries (e.g. China).

Contractual agreements entered as part of purchase agreements are questionable when the seller is in a foreign country.
Aside from the logistical issues that are described above, there is basically no practical enforcement of a guarantee or return policy in case the seller walks away.
I have ordered low cost items (e.g. cables) only available in another country, but would not enter a purchase agreement over a sum I am not willing to write off.

1 Like

I’m not sure how vendor locking works with a board + CPU combo. I’d look into that first before buying anything.

Ah yes I can smell the apprehension in the room which answers my question. Thanks everyone.

I have purchased from this seller (tugm4470). They are legit, and have good deals on first and second gen Epyc stuff, including the package deal you posted. I think it’s a great deal, as long as you keep in mind that H11SSL is bottom of the barrel when it comes to choice of EPYC boards. I am being dramatic, it’s solid and stable, but very bare bones and reportedly has issues with some consumer GPUs.

Also, afaik only Dell, HPE and Lenovo currently vendor lock EPYCs. Supermicro certainly does not. And tugm4470 typically clearly label vendor locked CPUs in the item description.

4 Likes

depending where you live i recommend using paypal (:
i had trouble with a package from usa which i ordered on 2nd October 22 and which supposedly never got delivered and returned to sender.
A few days ago the seller only refunded part of the price and i made a claim with paypal … no issues (:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.