Am I crazy to think about replacing my T540P?

Like the title says, I am thinking about replacing my T540P with a newer ThinkPad. I know for a long time the 540p was/is the holy grail of ThinkPads. Mine is the top of the line i7, 3k display, and GT 730M (if my memory serves me correctly).

I don’t use it much as it is a bit thick/heavy to take along with my work laptop. I wouldn’t mind have a TB port as well as I have a spare dock.

No, you are not crazy.

At the end of the day, while the T540P is certainly a legendary computer… Fact of the matter is, the internals are just way too outdated at this point. A computer is a tool, and if you no longer have a use for that tool, sell it or recycle it.

As far as a replacement goes, I have no idea though. The three big ones are Dell, HP and Lenovo, and while I am a bit partial towards the Framework laptop myself, I am a bit sceptical towards their ability to quickly generate a replacement laptop. It all depends on how badly you need one.

1 Like

In writing all that put I realized the specs of that laptop almost match the gaming computer I built for my kids to play old XP games.

I probably will buy a used business laptop like this Lenovo or something like a Surface.

You could use it as a router or a tor node