Alternatives to SmartTV Software

So I have a Samsung TV. The picture is great, the software is absolute garbage. I’ve already got Pihole setup to block the ads. The software on the TV freezes up constantly. It’s probably spying on me and attempting to send data back to Samsung. Are there any alternatives to this that I could run on the computer I already have next to the TV?

• I like having a wireless/IR based controller. Using a mouse and keyboard is OK but are there other options in terms of input hardware?
  • From a software side, something that supports Youtube, Plex, Spotify, Netflix, etc. would be great. Frankly since all these services run in a browser just fine, maybe that’s the easiest?

How can I make my SmartTV dumb but move the “smarts” to my Linux box sitting beside it?

1 Like

There are lots of USB MCE IR receivers available. Lots of universal TV remotes have the codes built-in. Works just fine with LIRC on Linux.

The standard answer is Kodi (formerly XBMC). You should start there:

2 Likes

Yes, if your Samsung TV is connected to your network, it is spying on you. If you don’t want it to collect data on you, disable the WIFI card inside the television, or if you can’t figure out how to do that, create a firewall to block it.

2 Likes

I know im unconventional in this regard but, Steam Controller, they were literally made for this task. I use mine like this from bed after i am finished sitting at the desk and want to watch some videos and fall asleep

1 Like

Unfortunately I think they’re all TV specific: GitHub - RootMyTV/RootMyTV.github.io: RootMyTV is a user-friendly exploit for rooting/jailbreaking LG webOS smart TVs.
I found out an LGTV I was given could take this, and I’ve been considering it ever since.

2 Likes

Reset it and dont connect it to wifi. Use linux htpc. Steam Controller… Kodi. Steam Big Picture… Firefox.

2 Likes

I have a Samsung TV. I have a Windows 10 with all turn off. Then I have Firefox turned off. With 2 ads turn on. 1 cookies turn on. VPN turn on with each day it goes to another server. A scrambler turn on. I have 48 free sites, KODI, and Youtube Plex Netflex.

1 Like

just get a “Chromecast with Google TV” or get an Nvidia Shield TV and call it a day, imo

dont bother to use the apps installed on the TV itself.