Alternative to LastPass?

I second this recommendation

2 Likes

I am a user of Lastpass have been for two years; I haven’t received an email from LastPass so that I would assume the email @lI_Simo_Hayha_Il got is a phishing attack. I wouldn’t worry about it until the expired time.
Since the LastPass app for my tablet has nothing but issues, it turns out @lI_Simo_Hayha_Il is correct; no great loss.

I used to use KeePassXC with Syncthing to synchonize copies between my phone and my desktop. It has the capability to keep version copies in case corruption/conflicting copies exist.

1 Like

I’m on Bitwarden for two years now, and it’s OK. Using it as Firefox addon on two computers, and on my android phone. Android devices (or at least mine, Galaxy Note 9) can get a bit annoying - I focus the input field and it won’t offer to fill using Bitwarden, switching focus from username to password few times works.

I switched from LastPass as their web app was horrible UX and amazingly slow for me.

1 Like

I’m currently looking for a solution as well, but for me it’s important to be able to share passwords. I did quite a bit of reading and am leaning towards PassBolt. Anyone tried it?

Honestly there are so many solutions out there, LastPass I tried because they sponsored some YouTube channel to talk about them, and I ended up with Bitwarden because Firefox had it as a recommended addon and I found it good enough.

So give it a trial run and see if it works for you.

No, it wasn’t a phishing attach. I consider myself too experienced to fall for something like this.

Here is a 7 hours old article with the info you need.

Been using keepassXC for a few days, loving it so far. Has a extension for FF and you can get KeepassDX for android.

Great thing about it is that many other password managers can import keepass files, so if you find something better if there is you can. No lock in.

https://keepassxc.org/

Keepass plus file sync service of your choice works well.

If you want something slightly more polished but $$$ I’ve been happy with 1password.

I use both.

1 Like

Using syspass at work for that sort of thing. Works nicely.

I’ve been using self hosted Bitwarden_rs in a docker container on Unraid for about a month. It was very easy to setup and it puts me one step closer to getting away from Apple/Google/Firefox dependencies and meets my goal for being platform agnostic since it works well on just about everything with client apps readily available. I second this recommendation.

The only downside is the occasional website password change form fails to be auto recognized by the plug-in. Not a big deal for me, but does require me to be vigilant when changing passwords that it actually recognized the change and do it manually if not.

3 Likes

I’m happy with KeepassXC + Keepass2Android. I don’t have an iOS device, but expect that there are also apps.

I’ve recently moved my mum to KeepassXC from Firefox internal password storage and moved from LastPass several years ago.

Both Keepass and KeepassXC support to import password from a csv. I don’t know the current situation, but LastPass allowed me to export everything as a CSV.

I think Enpass could fill your needs somewhat.
Or, if you wanna get your hands dirty - teampass :P. Does not fill all your needs easily tho what I can recall.

I recommend self hosting a nextcloud server on any hadware that you have available, and setting up a super cheap and lame domain name to that. There is a passwords addon that is exceptional, and has a cross platform browser addon to that with autofill and password saving features. Very slick setup. It also replaces the google cloud services with the advantage of being super speed on the local network.

+1 for Keepass. ios has data compatible Keepassium. I sync across platforms with Dropbox.
Keepass is not really integrated with browsers, and I don’t care. Don’t have any idea how it compares to Last Pass. Does what I need.

There is also MiniKeePass for IOS (at least on my first gen iPhone se)

Video on patreon out soon :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Rootz and I are using bitwarden_rs. I’ve actually got my entire family on it, and our shared accounts are set up through an org. If you have any Q’s hit me up.

5 Likes

And @Eden is the one who (unknowingly) first championed bitwarden to me, back before their first big external security audit

2 Likes

Lack of integration with browsers is IMHO not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn’t quite go so far as to say its a feature… but its certainly a plus vs. options that run exclusively in or attached to your browser.

Q: What’s the biggest security exposure on any modern platform?

ding ding… Browsers…

ergo… probably not the best idea to have your password manager running in-browser.

1 Like