[Almost] The time corsair removed "legacy" devices from iCUE (reversed but still a risk)

I figured not many people may have been aware of this, and it sort of goes down the same path of devices eventually being left out in the cold by manufacturers, especially those with RGB integration.

On 21 March 2021, in migrating from iCUE version 3 to version 4, Corsair removed support for a number of devices. This was eventually reversed some 423 days later on 26 May 2022. During this time the products that were discontinued were still available for sale, and some are to this day despite being “legacy”.

The list of devices that lost support (again they are allegedly now supported again):

• K66 Mechanical Keyboard
  • Sabre RGB (2016 version)
  • Sabre RGB Optical (2015 version)
  • Sabre RGB Laser (2015 version)
  • KATAR (2015 version)
  • VOID USB (2015 version)
  • VOID WIRELESS (2015 version)
  • VOID SURROUND (2015 version)
  • Scimitar (2015 version)
  • H80i GT Hydro Series Cooler
  • H100i GTX Hydro Series Cooler
  • H110i GTX Hydro Series Cooler
  • H80i V2 Hydro Series Cooler
  • H100i V2 Hydro Series Cooler
  • H115i Hydro Series Cooler
  • H110i GT Hydro Series Cooler
  • H110i Hydro Series Cooler

Add to this there were devices that could only be controlled on iCUE 4 or newer so if you adopted their ecosystem, you were screwed because you can’t install both version of their software at the same time and their was no legacy plugin or similar to rectify this .

2 Likes

I have had major issues with iCUE since v3. I used to be able to set fan curves on my power supply (HX1000i), control the rails, and do the same for my AIO ( H110i).

Now I am lucky when they show up if they show up in iCue and I actually moved to paid SignalRGB because it controls the devices better. Also these parts are in my server, not my desktop PC. In that I have a Corsair Comander Pro because there are just no enough fan headers on my ITX MB, and that also does not work well with iCue4.

You mean as much of a disaster as it is trying to not use Corsair’s software, they’re likely to just stop supporting their proprietary crap within their own ecosystem?

Can’t think of a better argument to buy something else unless they wanna, y’know, stop being proprietary.

Version 1 to 3 of the software was OK, its 4 that jumped the shark. Basically the issues is you buy a product with a 10 year warranty, and they drop software support at 5 years.

So am I buying more “smart” corsair products? Hell no! Do I want support for the ones I still own, yes!

My willingness to buy Corsair in future depends on them: I’m done with needing to reverse engineer their hardware to be able to use it. I don’t need their software to support it because I don’t use any version of iCUE anyway on my machines. (My current Corsair-hardware-using machines don’t run Windows, so…)

But knowing now that they just don’t care about supporting stuff in iCUE all that much, I can say it even for my Windows machines: Document how to talk to your hardware or don’t expect me to buy any more of it.