AliExpress i5-12450H 6-Bay NAS Motherboard

I’m trying to build a new home server system, mostly for storage but also some apps and general stuff. I found a really interesting motherboard, but can’t find any information or detailed reviews.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007031129277.html

What makes it really interesting is number of NVMe drives it can take. 2 on board, and up to 4 on the end of an SFF-8643 cable.

I think you could put an M.2 SATA adapter in one of the slots to get more SATA ports too.

Anyone tried one? In theory, with the CPU they offer it should be very low power at idle, while still having a lot of expansion capability.

Ideally I’d like an mATX board with more PCIe slots, but this is the best compromise I can find.

Is ECC RAM likely to work?

1 Like

I have a erying board and ECC does not

Can’t speak for this board

2 Likes

Thanks. This one isn’t on the Erying website. The AliExpress page does say it only supports non-ECC, which is a shame.

I can’t find anything better though. There are some older Xeon boards that tick all the boxes, except for being low power. Any ideas?

My ideal board:

• Low power
  • 3+ NVMe slots
  • 8+ SATA
  • mATX or ITX
  • PCIe slot
  • ECC RAM
  • WiFi
  • 2.5G Ethernet

For reference this is the Xeon board: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007051544067.html

6 DIMM slots on a 4 channel platform is an interesting choice. If memory performance is important to you, pay careful attention to the manufacturer’s DIMM load order.

Performance isn’t a big factor for me. I’d get that board if it wasn’t for the power hungry Xeon. I see people saying their system “idles” at 200W. I was thinking sub 20.

I might be over-thinking this. I could just get a basic B660M/B760M board with 4 SATA ports, 3 NVMe sockets, WiFi, 2.5G networking… And possible ECC support, some people report it works.

Okay, I need another 4 SATA ports, but with a couple of PCIe slots that is no problem. A bit more power consumed perhaps.

Ryzen B650M is another option, but they don’t seem to be so competitive on idle power consumption. The main benefits are confirmed ECC support and some offer 4x4x4x4 bifurcation on one PCIe slot.