Airflow for something with the RAM at the top of the MOBO?

Hey all,

Does anyone have experience with motherboards that have the RAM at the top? I’m looking to cool an i5 13500 on a W680-ace-se in a node 804 case. It seems like my options are:

• Stock cooler (I’d like to get something less noisy.)
  • Cooler that directs air upwards (since the CPU socket is rotated 90 degrees)
  • Cooler that directs air perpendicularly away from the motherboard (similar to stock but with a bigger heatsink/quieter fan.)
  • Passive cooler

I borrowed my friend’s art degree to make this interpretation of the case layout with the motherboard installed and the cooler options:

What I’m wondering is if air going perpendicular into the case fan airflow would be preferable compared to a 90 degree bend in airflow?

Warm air rises naturally. I’d utilize that by placing the CPU cooler such that it blows toward the top (don’t fight physics).

Secondly, I’d set up the case for a front-to-back airflow. Make it as easy as possible for warm/hot air to escape the case.

Make sure that the case has positive pressure, meaning, more air is pulled in from the front fans (which should have a filter) than is sucked out by the back and top fans. Otherwise your case has negative air pressure which leads to air being sucked in from any unfiltered tiny crack leading to dust accumulation.

2 Likes