AIO Watercool Xfire r9290's or replace?

Have a desktop with 2 XFX r9 290 reference cooled. OC'd. LOUD AS HELL

Thinking about throwing on a NZXT Kracken with the G10 bracket on both of them to quiet things down and possibly push the cards further.

I plan on getting a pack of copper heatsinks for the vrm if I did this.

Only pushing a 1080p monitor.
Case: Define R4 Blackout

WWWD?

Probably would be better to grab two of these if they will fit in your case

2 Likes

Question...
Do you need more performance?
I mean it's Crossfire... Not really great scaling...
So you could easily replace with Vega as soon as the reviews are out and we actually see what it can do.
Because at the end of the day you will have the same performance, just spend a whole lot of money on water cooling...
You can easily water cool the Vega as well...

It's R4... They will fit. The issue wi, is there enough space between the cards for this cooler... It will effectively make them a triple slot cards.

2 Likes

Mostly just looking to make it quiet, because at full tilt, it sounds like a jet engine.

@Cavemanthe0ne any experience with this? is it actually quieter?

Those worked super well when I had my r9 290, the only issue was that the fan speed could not be controlled and was set at 100% but even then it was whisper quiet.

1 Like

Oh hell yes, it's a ton quieter.
I mean, anything is a lot quieter than the reference but the Accelero are beastly.
also what @Big_Al_Tech said.
Though i think the III version may now have fan control, not sure.

1 Like

The fans or the controller did eventually crap out but that was 24/7 on hours for 1.5 years.

3 Likes

I think I'll get 2 of these. Thanks guys. There's plenty of space between my cards so I think there will be no issue. fingerscrossed

Ill take pics and update with results.

2 Likes

Added bonus of the coolers: they can be reused if you get a new GPU/GPUs.

2 Likes

Just to add up,look at the difference

IDK what Arctic is doing or why no one is colabing with them for the cooler.Its bonkers.

If you have the space in your case for two Radiator fans, sure. I'd stay away from Corsair H80i GT since the tubes are thick and less flexible, bad for 2xfire. Also, if you are gonna go for the Hybrid route, I highly recommend SpeedFan to control the AIO fans, and the blower fan through MSI Afterburner fan curve set to 10%idle - 35/40%load.

So I installed one and computer wouldnt boot,

Heard a small pop and saw a small cloud of smoke. I poped a fuse on the card. 'tis dead. sending back the other cooler

I may have shorted something with the included heatsinks (which were garbage and didnt even have enough of one size heatsink to cover the memory modules)

Oh well. not a huge loss.So the computer is now down to one working r9 290 with the stock cooler.

I guess I'm gonna wait to see how Vega performs and maybe Ill try to sell the working 290 and upgrade it.
It's my fiancee's computer and she doesn't play any demanding games besides Skyrim: se