AIO rad in Supermicro Supertower?

I have a white Phanteks p600s on backorder but it’s a month out, and I’m impatient, so…

Considering putting my threadripper 2950x with its 360mm rad into an old supertower for the time being. There’s tons of room, the massive antique motherboard in there is nearly 2x the size of an ATX.

I’m thinking the rad will zip tie to the middle support structure, or maybe I can get a few holes to line up.

Intake air will be provided by 3x Noctua industrial 3000 rpm 120mm fans, blowing over 8x 3.5" hard drives and onto the rad.

The issue I’m scratching my head on is exhaust. Supermicro seems to have forgotten that part. There’s a single 120mm exhaust port and a 200mm that’s built into the power supply.

I’m concerned with the three high volume fans feeding air in, there’s not enough flow for it to get back out again, causing hot air to stagnate inside the chassis.

I guess I can switch the slot covers from solid to perforated, or leave them off, to open a bit more vent space.

Ideas, comments, questions?

Sounds like a positive pressure setup which is actually good. I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s great to keep out dust if you filter the intakes since it won’t start to pull in dust from everywhere.

Good idea, I’ll see if I can scrounge up some of that filter fabric stuff

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.