AIO questions: sTR4/sTRX4/SP3 AIOs with proper cold-plate size?

Hey friends,

the more I read, the more I get confused.
A lot of AIO companies advertise them for sTR4/sTRX4/SP3 but when I look closer the cold plate seems to be smaller, so possibly not optimal.
I am aware that heat production is more in the middle, but not using the full size of the heat spreader does not sound great to me.
Enermax had a few models, but had big issues with leakage so hesitant at this point.
But besides of those, where can I find ideally a list that discloses which cold plates are either fitting or larger than the sTR4/sTRX4/SP3 heat spreader.

Bonus questions:
1)
Are there AIO where the pump is separate (to not have vibration directly on the CPU) yet it is a closed loop?
2)
Any success stories of deliding Threadrippers/EPYCs and cooling those?

your looking at gaming solutions when you should be looking at server solutions.
yes the gaming aio manufacturers sell undersized heat plates for the heat spreader on the tr chips.
and no you shouldnt buy any of em.

look at brands like dynatron for aio for servers… not coolermaster :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, do you have a few more names to research?
Since you mentioned server - note that I need this to run relatively quiet as it will be used as a workstation.
I looked up the fans and 4cm fans do not exactly seem a smart solution for a workstation.

Threadripper are Workstation processors after all.
From a wattage perspective and cooling performance you need similar specs nowadays. The difference is the form factor and the size of the cold plate as far as I can see. I do not care about 1U-4U, so I can live with larger radiators.

Maybe worth asking Supermicro about their SNK-P3045A4. This is an option for their 5014A-TT system. See from time 1:09 in the product video at AS-5014A-TT

1 Like

I’ve been using one of these on my SP3 socket Rome system (240 watts) and have no complaints. It’s one of the few AIOs with a proper SP3 sized cold plate.

Early run models had corrosion issues (hence the reviews) but my later model has held up for two years, and temperatures remain below 65C under multi-day all core workloads.

Not true, as he’s asked, he simply needs a AIO with a correctly sized water block. @DaTruAndi I can recomment the Alphacool Eisbaer Pro Aurora 360. It has an water block made for Threadripper, Epyc and Xeon processors and in combination with a 360mm radiator this is a feasible solution.

@rrubberr : So they got it under control now? I was almost buying one and then got scared by all the negative coverage.

@H-i-v-e
Thanks! I like this one, but it has a high premium in the US right now. Seems there is not enough volume of those devices getting over the pond.

In my experience, yes it’s under control. Although my sample size is one.

Before purchasing one I contacted their support and a representative assured me that the corrosion issues were only with an early batch, for what it’s worth :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.