AIO-kit: A blueprint for re-use and case-mods

Why AIO

• Enthousiasts
    Move around a lot with systems, having one that is servicable, not overpriced and uses desktop parts allowing for custom specs would be a great option. Especially for those that move around a lot, or just dislike clutter.

• Normies
    Mostly interested in smartphones, tablets and maybe laptops. Techs that are more portable and one single piece. They won’t salivate for AIO systems, but it will be a far more attractive choice.

• I really like the built-in speakers of my monitor…

Purpose

• Reuse of older parts
    A lot of older systems are perfectly usefull for regular desktop use, and will be for a long time. As long as you respect a certain minimum spec: 4-core, 64bit, at least 8GB DDR, SSD… (and Debian-based nonfree-enabled Linux for performance, compatibility and stability)

• Shortage of new components

• New stuff is often overpriced

• I want to busy myself building and selling stuff. It seems like a fun way to actually contribute to both coffers and society. I want to find out if this is economically profitable.

Features

• Handle on top of the screen to easily move it, or at the very least some place to screw one in securely

• Decent quality amp and speaker (Volume knob is optional?)

• Plenty of USB ports, and an SD-card reader would be nice.

• Freely available Blue-print, CAD-files (if plastic pre-made mold)

• PDF manual for building these, and with explanation of how some parts are connected and work, and why some decisions were made.

• Airflow considered (probably with plenty of perforation), and the build is preferably around 10cm thick, no more than 15cm

• If possible (I kind of doubt it) clear sections for certain parts, such as motherboard, PSU, custom wiring

• Thinking of screen-cover/cushion for moving as an accessory

Challenges and doubts (there are a lot)

• Are older computer screens reusable for this? If so from which monitor size? Smaller might work with (defect) laptops. Removing screens seems ideal but how can these be nicely placed in the case if dimensions vary? Is 22inch possible? If it doesn’t work with the dimensions of 24ich 16:9 + lower or side speakers it is a far less useful endeavor.

• Do the kits need to be mass-produced and made newly from plastic? Can the needed parts be pre-made in a simple workshop? If the latter is possible can parts of old cases somehow be reused?

• I am no electrician nor know a lot about all this but it will probably require some custom wiring to have only one power cord and make sure that one button boots and shuts both system and monitor down. Making the ports of the motherboard accessible, would it be better to somehow extend them? Just use add-on for front of the case?

• Are discreet graphics even feasible? PCI extension-cable seems to have proven to be reliable, and there are a lot of cheap and/or passive cards that could help older processors and motherboards along.

I’m not saying I would immediately start a business for this, but I think it would have a niche in current times. Proper branding (not for the small business, but more in a distro or community/movement kind of way) could really help this along. Impressions and insights would be appreciated. Including harsh reality checks.

Made a small sketchup to see how much space is roughly left.
Placement can be shifted somewhat.

• total display+speaker 540x370mm

• ATX mobo 305x244mm

• CPU 92x92x14mm

• SFXPSU 125x100x64mm

• speaker 300x40x50mm

• Max dimensions AIO 540x370x64-75mm

Seems like there is plenty of space left for wiring. Not sure if top side as vent, or perforation above CPU/GPU area is best.

Not yet included:

• Powersplit for PSU / Display / Speaker
  • Reinforcement spots
  • Places for stand to connect
  • handle anchor points
  • Forgot SSD (just flat next to GPU)
1 Like

I love the spirit of your idea and thought put into it. IMO the Apple iMac is the pinnacle of AIO desktop design and opening one up gives one the sense of the custom engineering required to make it possible.

One of the major concerns to address with any computer system is cooling especially in smaller form factors. You’ll have to choose either active or passive cooling for each of the heat producing components which dictates what hardware you can use as well as the size of the enclosure.

One way to experiment further with your AIO idea is to try it with a Raspberry Pi 4, LCD panel and speaker.

Have fun!

Thanks. Though I recently realized weight might be a concern too.
Honestly the powersupply seems to be the biggest headache. Reusing standard ATX-sized one just seems like madness. But smaller or more custom options only increase cost and don’t really work with the re-use idea.

The problem I see is that there is an excessive focus on looks and thiness. Basically they seem to be selling laptops without a keyboard most of the time. Which would be fine, but people just aren’t going to get the parts they want since they aren’t meant to be sold to consumers directly.

• Applause *

MSI already created something almost ideal years ago with the MSI AX24. The big downside being that the optional graphics-card is connected as an external GPU.

Not sure why they didn’t use an extension cable. They likely put one of their laptops in there and didn’t want to use a custom motherboard. Maybe focus on the reuse of defective laptop boards is inevitable.

MSI_AX24_2

EDIT: It has 2 seperate 180w PSUs (in the form of external bricks unfortunately). Definitely need to get some picture of the inside. Or even a model. These things seem to be impossible to find. So I’m not sure if it ever released. Explains the eGPU decision, but it should be possible to supply the PCI-bus power with an adapter on the extension cable so that the full 180w PSU can be used with PCI.

badres