AI vs LOT Forum: Help me setup my TrueNAS Core for my use case

I asked ChatGPT-4 the following question:

Hi, I would like you to walk me through how I should set up my TrueNAS Core server for my use case.

This is my use case:

There are two people who live in my household. Brent and Kayla.

Brent and Kayla should have one dataset they can both access and only they can access. This will be an SMB share as both Windows and Linux clients will access it. This will store private information such as financial records, so anyone trying to access this information from a device should have the required credentials.

A second dataset will be a media folder. This will store Movies, TV Shows, Music and Photos. This will only be access by Linux. It can be either NFS or SMB, which ever you think will be better.

A third dataset will be accessed by only Brent. It will hold data that should be secured for clients. It will hold code, databases and other work related material that only the user Brent should be able to mount from his devices.

The last dataset should be public. Making it easy to quickly share devices to anyone that has access to the network.

Help me walkthrough how you would setup TrueNAS Core to give me the best experience.

It provided my the following output:

Let’s break it down into steps. I’m going to assume that you’ve already installed TrueNAS Core and have completed the initial setup wizard, which includes setting your root password, timezone, hostname, etc.

Step 1: Create Users and Group

Firstly, we’ll create users for Brent and Kayla. In the web interface:

1. Navigate to Accounts → Users → Add.
  2. Enter the required information for each user (username, full name, password, etc.), and ensure you give each of them a home directory. Note the user ID (UID) for each, you’ll need this later.

We’ll create a group for Brent and Kayla for the shared dataset:

1. Go to Accounts → Groups → Add.
  2. Name it something like “Shared”, and add Brent and Kayla to the group. Note the group ID (GID), you’ll need this later.

Step 2: Create Datasets

Now we’ll create the datasets. Navigate to Storage → Pools:

1. Select the pool you want to create the datasets in, then click on the three dots on the right side and select “Add Dataset”.
  2. For the shared dataset, name it something like “Shared”. Under advanced settings, set the “Share Type” to SMB.
  3. Repeat for the Media, Brent’s personal, and Public datasets. For the Media dataset, you could choose either SMB or NFS for share type; NFS is generally a bit more performant and stable on Linux, but SMB would provide more versatility if you ever need to access it from a Windows machine.

Step 3: Set Permissions

Now we’ll set permissions for each dataset:

1. For the shared dataset: Click the three dots next to the dataset, and select “Edit Permissions”. Set the User to “root” and the Group to “Shared”. Set the permission type to “Windows”. Ensure the “Apply User” and “Apply Group” boxes are checked, and set the permission checkboxes so that “Read” and “Write” are checked for Owner (root), Group (Shared), and unset for Others.

2. For the Media dataset: Similar to the shared dataset, set User to root and Group to whichever user (Brent or Kayla) will be accessing the dataset. Set permission type to “Unix” (since this will be accessed from Linux). Set the permissions as needed, likely giving full access to Owner and Group and no access to Others.

3. For Brent’s dataset: Set the User to Brent, Group to Brent, and set the permissions so that only Owner (Brent) has Read and Write access.

4. For the Public dataset: Set the User to root, Group to a generic group like “users”, and give Read and Write permissions to Owner, Group, and Others.

Step 4: Set Up Sharing

Finally, we’ll set up sharing for each dataset:

1. For the shared dataset: Go to Sharing → Windows Shares (SMB) → Add. Select the shared dataset, and set the “Purpose” to “Private”. In the advanced settings, set the “Allowed Users” to Brent and Kayla.

2. For the Media dataset: Go to Sharing → Unix Shares (NFS) → Add, and select the Media dataset. Set the NFS version to 4, and set the allowed networks or hosts as needed.

3. For Brent’s dataset: Again, go to Sharing → Windows Shares (SMB) → Add, select Brent’s dataset, and set the “Purpose” to “Private”. In the advanced settings, set the “Allowed Users” to Brent.

4. For the Public dataset: Go to Sharing → Windows Shares (SMB) → Add, select the Public

The advice seems outdated a bit and it didn’t go into much detail, but does this use case scenario seem like it would work for me? Is this how you would set it up>

I’m not 100% sure on the details since it’s been a while since I set mine up, but that is probably what you want to do give or take a UI elements. I’d say this is a pretty detailed explanation, personally, even if a few pictures would make it easier to follow like in the official docs. Have you simply tried it?

The only additional thing is that by default if you create a new file or folder as a user (say as brent) then the owership will be by user brent and group brent. This is fine in a private share (since only brent will access it) and in a public share (since anyone can access it by default).

However, in the shared setting this may prevent kayla from being able to modify the file. You can remedy this in two ways: by enabling the group stick bit or by changing the default acl. More here.

On truenas you can change the inherited acl for files and folders from the UI during step 3, part 1 by setting the inherit flag on the group ACL like

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback. This is my first time setting up TrueNAS. I have an 83TB Unraid that I am looking to move over to TrueNAS. So I have tried a combination of things so far to just get familiar with it and test.

Right now my biggest issue is getting the permissions dialed in.

If you haven’t seen it, you may find the following tutorial helpful

1 Like

Hey @BWBama85 , hope you’re getting on well with the permissions.

Only a thought, but you might want to get a spare hdd and create a pool and then datasets on that with different ACL’s first?

I probably did mine wrong, I just made sure the owner was root and made myself/others wheel group members, or individual group members (like Brent as a username AND as a group). I then had datasets:

Dataset1 - accessible only by me
Dataset2 - accessible by me and person2
Dataset3 - accessible by all
Dataset4 - accessible by person2 only
Dataset5 - accessible by person3 only

I left the home directory as /nonexistent

I also created a read-only user that I use on the phone allowing me to access via SMB shares…without the risk of me flicking a thumb and deleting a whole folder :slight_smile:

Not sure if that helps or hinders :roll_eyes: