I am looking for AI tools that create a written outline of a YouTube Video or a Podcast episode.
I sometimes enjoy consuming content via YouTube videos or podcasts, though generally I prefer to simply read as I can consume information much more efficiently. This also makes it easier to copy/paste key items and save into my notes.
It would be very useful to use a tool where I provide the link to a podcast episode or a YouTube video and the tool creates a written outline summary of the video. Does anyone have experience using tools like this?
I realize a big risk here is that the AI tool incorrectly summarizes some aspects of the video leading me to an incorrect conclusion.
It would be really remarkable if I could use such a tool to automatically create outlines for certain podcasts/youtube channels, then direct those outlines into my RSS reader. I think this is putting the cart before the horse at this stage.
Google gemini can summarize youtube videos. Probably the easiest/best option if you are OK with using google services.
For podcasts, there are some website offering transcriptions. Apple podcasts has pretty good transcriptions in their app nowadays and they are downloadable in some cases (I believe discretion of the creator?). Some third party websites also offer transcriptions for (popular?) podcasts. Then run the transcriptions into an LLM for summarization.
Or roll your own using a podcast downloader/yt-dlp into an open-source speech-to-text into an open-source summarizer. Might be tough since context lengths can be limited on smaller home-use models.
With the current state of LLMs, depending on the topic I might not be comfortable with accuracy though. I can see its use as a quick filter to decide ‘do i really want to watch/play this’.
It does require some setup like enabling the youtube data api which means having a google cloud account but its probably the best bet unless you want to roll something yourself.
There are currently concerns that ‘summarize this’ merely truncates the text and highlights fictional data – When ChatGPT Summarises it actually does nothing of the kind. Almost nobody checks that a summary contains only facts and highlights the pertinent portions of its target – why would you use the summary if you’re also going to have to study the source text?
YouTube are blocking youtubetranscript.com from reading the auto transcript at the moment, so I’m looking for a better alternative when I want to read the transcript of a long video. (ATM my best tool is to read, and my reading sped up with practice, so I’m interested in this thread, thank you for asking.)
The article you linked to is really great. Thanks for the insight. I’ve lost interest in using AI to create summaries. If it’s feeding me junk info then what’s even the point?
I’ve been exploring different tools myself, and I have to say that Creaitor.ai . You just feed it some ideas, and it lays everything out clearly. It’s like having a buddy who knows precisely what you need to get started!
Plus, it saves so much time when you’re juggling multiple projects. Instead of structuring your content, you can focus on the fun part—creating! I think you’ll enjoy how intuitive it is. If you want to take your content to the next level, this tool is worth checking out.