AI tools and services recommendations

G’day everyone,

This is my first post, so please forgive me if it is in the wrong category, and feel free to redirect or point me in the right direction.

I just wanted to ask if there are any other good AI tools available free or paid that the L1T forums would recommend. I have the paid version of ChatGPT, but find it a bit lacking, or daft on occasion, and thought I would check to see if there is anything else people are using.

Also, just a big thanks to the L1T team! Links with friends is literally the highlight of my week.

I sometimes use perplexity.ai because it doesn’t require a login (yet?). And also because it gives you links, telling you what its sources were, which is key. Without that it’d be nearly useless because you can’t trust these stupid things. And that’s assuming the links it presents you with are any good…

It’s okay and useful for a “power search”, but nothing to replace a regular search engine either. It can also be blatantly wrong like the other supposed “AI” things out there, so I find that it’s best used only as a search engine to find direct sources that you can read and evaluate for credibility yourself.

Always check the original sources referred to if it’s anything important. These things can take a stray (and wrong) comment on a Reddit post and present it to you as fact.

Also predictably, it’s ridiculously politically biased, so don’t bother with it for anything remotely controversial.

Thanks, Louhy,

I’ll check out Perplexity. I’ve seen some of the hilariously nonsensical responses (or “usefully wrong” answers) that LLMs present as fact, and I wouldn’t trust them with anything too critical or requiring high accuracy. They are becoming a handy tool, especially with Google’s decline in Australia, and Reddit seeming to die after mod-bloodbath, which is a shame, yet now perhaps necessary.

I tend to use it somewhat like a scratchpad or pen and paper, or as a creative sounding board for ideas. It feels akin to conversing with an elderly relative—who, despite often being riddled with bias and misinformation, can still be quite helpful.

The fluency of the responses makes it a fascinating piece of technology, and it will be interesting to see its evolution over the few years. Hopefully, it doesn’t end up with us all being on the run from the OpenAI spiderbots. :grin:

I use 11 labs for some customers who want voice over work done on the cheap. Usually this is for things like instructional videos for their corporate teams or for customers who just want a how to.

I’ve used 11 labs for some ad stuff as well and it does work well if you have the time to cut things up and rerun it a few times to get the correct feel. This can take some time and can be hit or miss but I’ve had no complaints so far.

I just listened to some of the 11 labs voices and realised that this is where the generic social media voiceovers are being generated. But it’s still pretty impressive, must be handy if you have to create training stuff for clients.

The 11 Labs voice tech seems to have evolved beyond the ‘Presidents play Warhammer’ skits a from a few months ago. But it might just be the freeware this content creator is using compared to something designed for corporate.

They’re quite funny if your into this sort of thing.

1 Like