After 6 years, time for a new gaming rig

Yup. I'd go skylake. If you're not going to overclock you might want to wait for the non-k chips to become available too, and maybe some cheaper mobos if there ever will be any...

ok

i might wait for some more attractive skylake stuff then. until then my budget will be a little bigger too.

you all have been really helpful, thx alot.

when i m settled on a purchase i ll post it here for a last look over.

I guess I'm the only AMD guy here :P

Also yeah, I didn't mean the 390X and only realised after re-reading my post I had mistyped. Sorry! D:

Hi I am the sicko on X79 and 3970X,I still punch some pretty good performance and no fighting withn the rig............. dont forget the good old AND FAITHFULL X79.............
of course from an old guy

Cheers :-)
edit, I forgot and my very faithfull DDR5 AX7990 6GBD5-2DHJ (love that card, got 3)

edit on sept 28th down to just one, I have barbed wire and a security system around it ! (lol)

I advise against skylake, its very pricey for power over a 4th gen or even my 2nd gen i5.
Plus RAM is expensive, DDR4 is still expensive compared to DDR3.
You don't need all the PCI lanes, which would be the main reason from jumping from 4th to 5th gen.
Motherboards are also still rather pricey.
GPU is the main thing that will drive games so dump all the cash you can into that and get cheaper parts everywhere else, chances are you will still end up with a very rounded system.
Only time I recommend Skylake is if you need the PCI bandwidth, so you have PCI SSDs, PCI NICs, Multi-GPU, RAID etc etc.