After 6 years, time for a new gaming rig

No don't apologise. I am only messing with you about the go kart thing. I probably should have put a smiley face in there to show I meant it in a lighthearted way. It's just that I love those karts. They are so bloody quick. The difference between rental kartrs and a racing kart is night and day.

Unfortunate. I looked up your CPU and thought it supported DDR3. Maybe it supports both buy you have DDR2 in it.

I agree to an extent, but the reason I suggested an OC chip is due to the length of time OP holds onto a rig for. Having the capabitlity to get the extra performance out of a K part may allow OP to keep CPU relevant for another 6 years.

Although budget is tight and the K parts are damn expensive.

Problem is OCing can make the life span of the chip shorter, adding to that if OP does not know how to OC correctly they could kill the chip out right.

sure, I must admit, leaves us in much better terms.

1 Like

thx for all the info so far. that was really helpful.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZW2YFT

CPU and GPU from this build seem pretty much right in the sweet spot of best power to price ratio. the next more powerful part increases the price by quite a lot for the performance gain. which i really like, this pretty much was like my old setup.

as for storage the 1 SSD seems a better solution than the 2 i first thought of.

now just out of curiosity imagine i could increase the budget some more. what would be the next thing you would add/change/improve and what would i gain by that ? and i m not talking upgrade from 8 to 16 GB ram or faster ram.

If you order at mindfactory be sure to do so between midnight and 6 am. Even if you have to pay upfront (Vorkasse) they offer free shipping from 100€ upwards.

As for your list: looks like pretty much any 1000€ build request in this subforum. Good call on the black RAM though, I got blue HyperX fury a while ago and they managed to change their shade of steel-blue.

Hm, next upgrade step for a gaming rig ... hmmmm. I would probably go for a 2 or 3TB harddrive so you can retire your old harddrives. Return on investment after the 390 for 1080p gaming would be pretty low I imagine. i5-4670K probably the same.

Maybe peripherals? Wireless Xbox360 gamepad, better keyboard or mouse? A nicer mousepad and a set of new mousefeet probably. Or maybe a better set of headphones/2.1 system depending on preference.

I would argue that since he obviously keeps his rigs for longer than the average user, going to something like x79, or even x99 would be a better bet. There is a LOT more life in a long term chipset/cpu like the X series than in the consumer grade parts. I would even call the X series a "prosumer" part. As such, while he might not need all the horsepower of the X series, it will give him tons of room for growth in the next 3 to 6 years that he will enevitable keep his new build for. Of course costs will increase, and to be honest I have no idea if you can even build an X series rig for on his budget.

I have a few opinions here.

For a processor you could go with skylake, however the price is pretty high for them. I personally like AMD so I would recommend one of the new opterons or an FX-8xxx. 8450? 8350? I haven't paid attention to the FX chips for a while and I'm on a phenom x4 black edition at the moment. You could take a step back to the generation before skylake and look at them. Short side of it is if you want to overclock, the an intel "k" or "x" chip, or get an AMD chip that was built for it.

For example my phenom is built around overclocking, as is the rest of the box.

Next for GPU you could go for AMD if you wanted to. The new R9 390X preforms great and is smack dab in the middle of the 980 and 970 from nvidia (plus 8GB of vram :P). Over all look for a card through the tech videos online (such as on tek-syn hardware or linus tech tips or jayztwocents etc). Since I was on a budget and I wanted all AMD anyways I went with a Radeon R7 250X core edition from XFX. I can do 4K when I get one of those monitors, I get 60 to 180 FPS depending on the game (settings are always cranked to high on new games, ultra on older games [example league of legends is at high but skyrim is at ultra]) and I can overclock everything on the PCB because the card is what it is. Your choice for that one really, just do some research.

For power supplies just make sure it's 80 plus certified. Mine is from antec, which are the most affordable, but you can get them from corsair and stuff.

For a case you will never run out of videos around here praising Fractal Design for the cases. Sleek black, no lights, and airflow is limited to what you have for open vents since you can take the covers off. The define S is the big one right now and you can fir a water cooling system in it.

As for water cooling, yeah it will work, and yeah you could oveclock with a water system, but it's really up to how long the loop is for that sort of stuff and how much gets pushed out by radiators.

On the motherboard front I went with an asus board and aside from a bug in the bios that makes me have to reseat the graphics card when I change bios settings (not UEFI, Bios) I have no quarrels with it. I can use any ram, over clock anything on the board with utilities in the bios as well as in linux/windows/OSX (whatever I decide to use) and I haven't had a problem yet. Asus is like the premium level of boards for that sort of stuff until you get into workstation boards or Big Bang boards (which... why do people buy those?????). Again, research and watch videos.

Ram?.... I have DDR3 ram and 12 gigs of it. I could do 16 but I really don't need that much and I'm not using premium parts by any means. If I have to leae a video rendering overnight in kdenlive I personally don't really mind.

Cooling, again like the Fractal cases @Logan has 50 billion videos about cooling. Do it at your leisure.

Storage you can do however you want. You mentioned doing all SSD's and thats just too expensive to me. If you want it to be stupid fast go ahead, but I have a 64 GB samsung SSD paired with a seagate storage drive thats 750GB at 7200 RPM and can bump up to 8000 when a lot of stuff is getting moved around. Theres also hard drives like the WD Velociraptors (I have one in my box from another one) which are enterprise drives. So you could probably get them in 10000 RPM, I personally never looked. I think they just have error checking and stuff like that. Very helpful.

I wish you the best of luck.

That i5, the RAM, the mobo, the case, the GPU and the PSU are all solid. Wouldn't change them. That leaves the storage solution, the CPU cooler and your peripherals. It really depends how much you have.
If you've around $50 more grab a 120mm AIO, $60 more replace that SSD with a 500GB one. $110, do both of those things or see if you can get a 1TB SSD to replace both your HDD and that SSD.

Or get a big air cooler, that would eliminate pump noise.

You might want to take a look into the case there, it's cheaper than the define S and has nice dust and sound proofing....

1 Like

That'd be a decent option too tbf. Just upgrade the CPU cooler in general. A noctua solution wouldn't be a bad choice. The cheapest non top down cpu cooler from them would be more costly than upgrading to a 500GB SSD though.

If you have AMD parts and can overclock the catalyst control center in windows has a neat little utility where it turns the frequency up slowly and runs tests inside of it. A few reboots of doing these tests and you can find the sweet spot pretty easily. My CPU is 3.2 GhZ flat but can do 3.6 no problem. I don't really want to press it any more than that though :P

Not going to beat a 4460, single core performance. There's the money to get an i5 and the extra threads aren't needed (they're not streaming, video editing etc), you'd only see a performance drop switching.

Not really worth the extra cost over a 390 though.

Runs better than the 290. It's worth it for the frame buffer if he goes for the MSi model (8GB).

Edit: This is also a card that will run regardless of time for a few years.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YOdL4A0lg

@FaunCB You're thinking about the wrong card.

1 Like

alright
i just did some calculations
some parts i can get through work for a quiet a bit cheaper than retail. so an upgrade from 8GB to 16 GB ram and 250 GB SSD to 500GB SSD is easily in my budget.

for those recommending peripherals, i am set on mice and keyboard unless they break i dont need new ones, a trusty G15 first edition and cyborg r.a.t. 9 mouse + razer mantis. sennheiser pc160.

i dont need a gamepad i dont play beat em ups or sports games at all.

fps, rts and rpgs.

maybe a new monitor but that's another can of worms i dont want to open right now.

as for the next big "jump" in performance, imagine i increased the budged to max 1500€.

i would imagine then it would be something like a 390x and them maybe a skylake platform ? or what would you recommend ?

what would the performance gain be like ?

well the 390X is not worth the extra cost over the 390.
The performance diffrence between these 2 particular gpu´s is soo minimal that it simply doesnt justify the extra cost.
a 390X is roughly €100,- more expensive then a 390, and all you get is a 2 or 3 fps increase in some games.
So its simply not worth it.

For the rest, like my build the Skylake would basicly be a great choice for gaming.
5820k X99 could also be something to concider,
however this will only realy make sense, if you do allot of productivity stuff next ot gaming.

nope this system is pretty much gaming only.

Then go skylake.
Its a good choice for gaming.