Affordable remote access solution needed

Seeking suggestions for something comparable to Teradici level of security with a much lower TCO. The hardware is reasonably priced but the subscriptions are eye watering.
Requirements are simply to access one workstation from anywhere with ironclad security, and no zero client/Desktop agents.

Are you looking for a remote desktop solution or a way to secure access to it, or are you perhaps thinking of something like a pikvm?

3 Likes

WHS

what is the use case here? Out of band management or just remote connnectivity to a running OS?

If it is ONE workstation maybe combine RDP with wireguard?

2 Likes

A bit of both I suppose

Use case is remote access to home lab for the purposes of demonstration while teaching.

Pikvm??

How many clients and do you control them?

If it’s your own laptop say, to homelab wireguard should be easy for this. Then just use RDP.

There area bunch of free for small numbers solutions built on top of wireguard now.

Names of which escape me right now (getting ready for work).

2 Likes

If you are running Proxmox or any virtualization server with a webGUI, a simple wireguard VPN to connect to your home network should be enough, then you’d just use your browser to connect to the management web interface. This is basically free to implement with a free dynamic DNS provider and port forwarding in your home router. The wireguard vpn server can also be run in a VM in your home lab.

Otherwise, if you want to also be capable of going into the BIOS / UEFI of your server, power on or reboot it on demand (basically like pressing physical buttons, but remote) in addition to keyboard and mouse input and having a display output, you would need a Pi-KVM for that alongside a VPN to get to the Pi-KVM (because exposing management interfaces on the internet directly is dangerous, so a VPN will protect your traffic and your services).

3 Likes

Brilliant!. Thank you so much! Now to find a how-to on setting that up.

Interesting :thinking:.

I’ve been running Anydesk free, setup with an extra password and I’m using 2FA with Aegis. Works great!

1 Like

I’ve heard of the name Anydesk but never looked into them. I suppose I will now though.

Iv always found a vpn like wireguard or openvpn to the thing you want to remote control is the most secure, then just use web ui or vnc to access it like you would if you were on that network. Both have easy to use scripts that help you set up and install if you look. vpn nets you make the security as insane as you choose lol

1 Like