Affordable Performance RWD Cars

I thought I'd make a topic today about something different, something that isn't TOTALLY about tech, I mean it is in a way, but it's a little less nerdy than my previous topics/discussions. I'm basically looking to purchase a new car within the foreseeable future, when I say new though, I mean new to me, it'll probably still be second hand, cause screw buying a brand new one.

I was thinking of buying RWD car, something kinda quick, so I had a look and one that REALLY stands out to me is the BMW Z4 3.0l roadster, I used to dislike it, but for some reason it has grown on me. Any car fans or anyone who knows more about cars than me, please comment, make suggestions, etc.

I was previously looking at an MX5, but the sound of a BMW with that straight engine just sounds so sweet.

Although the MX5 is still a valid car for what I'm after, the BMW just looks nicer and has a bigger engine, all silly things that I don't NEED by any means, but want... I just want something fairly small and light, but something that can shift like s$!t off a shovel too.... It also has to be RWD because I do plan on taking it to a rare track day or two, and I'd like to learn how to drift, long story short...

OBVIOUSLY I don't plan on being some idiot on the road who thinks they're trying to star in Fast & Furious and drift on public roads. I'd rather I didn't write off a BMW... Let alone hurt myself or anyone else... I thought on a track, it's safer, easier, a lot more controlled, etc. I mean it's also legal to do it on a track too, provided you have consent to drift on zed track, I mean I haven't been to many track days before now, I don't know if it's a common rule to allow/disallow people to drift, I mean I can understand why they'd make it so you can and can't.... I just don't know if that's a common rule or not?

I'm not quite after what I'd call a drift slag, but just something that's fast and fun. I'm also mostly looking at a Z4 with a 3.0 engine because it has all the top spec stuff, I've read that the 2.5 is still a 6 cylinder engine, I've also read that the performance is basically the same. Not to mention running costs, etc, they're very much similar, but obviously, from a mechanical perspective, USUALLY a bigger engine is a better engine..... At least as far as I'm aware....

Here in the US cheapest performance is either an early 2000s fire bird or camaro with up to 350hp available for as cheap as $6000

Oh jesus, different story over here in the UK, cheapest is either an MX5 or an ol' 3 series, especially a 3 series compact, they're going for as low as a few hundred £'s...

Have you ever looked into Z4's by any chance? Only asking because I want to know if there's actually a bigger difference in reality than on paper when you compare the 3.0 engine to the 2.5 engine... I mean on paper, things aren't ALWAYS that accurate, or at least that's what I've found in the past when talking about cars, I mean when you use common sense, it adds up as to why, but you get where I'm coming from.

2 Likes

I used to have a thirdgen Camaro (1991). They have a terrible rep but in terms of affordable you can get a pretty solid car for under 3k. The engine in stock form is not that great but has a massive aftermarket following. With the right stance, wheels, and color these cars look absolutely wicked cool. I would really enjoy swapping in a newer 5.3 v8 and a turbo in one.

Also, I have a serious love affair with the early Datsun's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Z-car#First_generation:_Nissan_240Z_.28S30.29

In the United Kingdom, I would've assumed a Camaro wouldn't be the easiest thing to find.

I also have an undying love for the old fair lady, the 240z is just gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

I first saw the 240z thanks to good ol' Chris Forsberg.

1 Like

The fairlady handles LIKE SHIT. seriously. they look cool, just don't waste money on one.

MX5's are really fun to drive, handle well, 350/370z's are fun as well. But, if you're looking to drift, I'd suggest a BRZ/86.

1 Like

I wouldn't say that either of those two are affordable yet though? - To be fair, they're both still fairly new cars.

Only thing that puts me off an MX5 is that they're so common. As for a 350/370, they're also called fairlady? - Only thing that's stopping me from getting a 350z is insurance, truth be told.

A for the z4 3.0 straight six, that's roughly the same on insurance as an MX5, so you can see why I'd rather the Z4 surely? :joy:

Can never go wrong with a miata. Bought this 97 for 2500 with 130k miles. Probably going to sell it soon. Eventually I'd like to put a rotary or LS into a miata but for now I have no time to even drive it.

If you get a miata be warned they are not fast. Even with a turbo you'll be pushing 4k rpms at only 80 mph. They are fun but very slow.

Surely you could've had a better deal than that? ...

I would've thought the LS would be a safer bet, personally...

And I'm aware that the MX5 isn't that fast, that's another reason why I'm a bit put off by them, they're fun, sure, but they don't scream power house to me... Even if you chuck a turbo on there yourself, or whatever, it'd still be slacking compared to something with a bit more oomph...

Just be careful on cost of ownership. Being a BMW, parts will not be cheap, or cheap to modify (which you'll need to do if you plan on tracking or drifting)

OTOH, the miata will be cheap to modify, there are turbo/supercharger kits online for them.
Check out these guys. They modify an MX5 and make it MAAAD

3 Likes

Don't worry my pal, I've got that covered, and that's something I've taken into full consideration, mostly repairs, but modifications too, I'm aware it ain't exactly gonna be cheap. For one I'll probably have to get an LSD for the Z4 if I do get the Z4.

When I had a look online for a turbo kit, it was easily around £2k, I mean considering you're chucking a turbo in there, it's not a bad deal. But at the same time, it's a fair price considering I'm not looking to spend quite that much. Don't get me wrong, a turbo on an MX5 sounds f$!king epic in terms of the fun you'd have with it.

Now here's a quick question, I haven't' looked it up and I don't care enough to actually look it up myself... But do you know if newer MX5's come with a 6 speed gearbox or not?

I wouldn't but buy anything after an NA or NB miata even if I was a billionaire.

After having a look at Z4 coupe's, I REALLY want one, I think they look fine as hell, and I'm not sure whether I like the red leather interior or not.... I mean that's something you' either love or hate, but with this exact picture, it looks orgasmic IMHO...

1 Like

If you can find one (in your budget), the Honda S2000 is a very nice car.

I dont know about the UK but in the US theres a decent market around "totaled" salvage cars. If you dont mind doing a little work yourself you could end up with a lot of car for not a lot of money. I would be doing this myself but IL state law on salvage vehicles is actually retarded. Theres tons of cars out there that have minor mechanical issues and some body damage but they werent worth much for resale in the first place so the insurance company deems them totaled and the auctions the car off. If you can manage some heavier damage repair you could get a great car for fractions.

Actually after googling, copart is an option for you I think? I dont know what your laws look like for salvage cars. Could be worth a look though.

If not...my vote is e36 325iS. I had a 93 and it was an amazing car for the money.

My brother is building a Lotus 7 out of an old Miata. I said to him "Now that you got the Miata running right, why the hell would you want a Lotus?" Because he has been dreaming of a 7 all his life.

He is really into this site.
https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/

I second the BRZ/GT-86. I was reading recently about the new STI no turbo :frowning: version and AutoWeek said "You may think you need more power. You don't." I know a guy who turboed his BRZ and it scared him so bad he sold it. And the guy he sold it to stuffed it a week later.

I have heard good things about the 4 cylinder eco-boost Mustangs. They are cheaper than the V8's, with good handling now that they have IRS and can make massive power if you chip the ECU.

The Honda S2000 is an epic ride and you won't see your self coming and going. The engine, OMG that engine! It was designed by their F1 engineers, revs to 9,000 RPM and sounds friggin' glorious. think of it as Miata ².

In the relatively affordable but still around $30K zone is the first gen Acura NSX. Me wantee so bad. There are tons of mods, but tricking one out would be sacrilegious.

About drifting?
Drifting is strictly verboten on track days. Track days are for racers, drifting is a show. I have seen guys kicked out and blacklisted for life because they kept drifting when the club asked them to stop. It's OK to drift a little if you are trying to go fast, but showboating is outlawed. You have to drift at a drift event. That said, I always drift a corner or two just for fun.

2 Likes

LS SWAP ALL THE THINGS!

Tell your brother to check out sloppy mechanics on youtube if he hasnt already.

2 Likes

Well buying an MX5 in europe you might end up with a bad rust bucket.
Because they are pretty garbage, fun to drive but yeah build quality is awfull.
And if we speak about BMW's, there is nothing more expensive then a cheap BMW.

3 Likes

Not if you're doing the work yourself. The aftermarket for those cars has exploded recently.