Advise me on an audio setup

Hey guys,

I have just recently invested in some Astro A40 headphones and mixamp 2013 combo (worst mistake since my K70).

The bass is so heavy that the drivers physically rattle when the bomb explodes in CS GO and the mids and treble aren't too impressive either compared to my old sennheisers and don't even get me started on the microphone quality.

So I am sending them back on Monday and looking for replacement equipment. 

After a bit of research, Logan's audio BS video, I have come up with the setup of a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's and an asus xonar DX 7.1 and an antlion modmic 4.0.

Now you might be asking about why I have chosen a sound card, well I really like the virtual surround sound in films, hence why I went for 7.1 instead of 5.1 and it spreads the sound more evenly across the driver as the headphone mode in CS gives me headaches as gun sounds pierce straight into the centre of my ear and footsteps are quieter.

What are your thoughts on setup and what would you change?

-Binary

Ditch the sound card and get a headphone amp-dac, I just did that and I'm very happy for that decision.

Objective 2 is good enough for the HD 598's on a reasonable prise.

Just my 2 cents.

So what difference would the DAC make as compared to my onboard audio. Ignore my surround sound idea.

So what difference would the DAC make as compared to my onboard audio. Ignore my surround sound idea.

Managed to hack my onboard realtek chip to output 5.1 dolby digital live which my mixamp scales up to 7.1 so no more need for a sound card.

Watch this if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3vLvFgVlzY

My current idea is HD 598's and an Astro mixamp. Is there a DAC available that can upscale my 5.1 sound for me?