Advice on hooking Case fans (older Molex)

Greetings!

I’m getting started on a 3700x build. I have had this ANTEC 900 case new in box for a long time. But I’m having Fan issues since it is older tech.

Advanced Cooling System:

One top 200mm TriCool fan with 3-speed switch control
One rear 120mm TriCool fan with 3-speed switch control
Two front 120mm special black TriCool blue LED fans

These all have those large old 4 pin power Molex (4 Pin Peripheral Connector). So each fan only has Red and black.

I have an Asus Prime x470 Pro board.

Any advice how I should connect everything? Should I solder on new connectors to go to the MB? Or just power them directly from the PSU?

I’m guessiing these are not PWM fans.

Thanks

Max

they are not
https://www.moddiy.com/products/4-Pin-Molex-to-3-Pin-Fan-Adapter-Cable.html

if you dont want to solder

you could just have em blow full tilt by connecting to psu directly. or getting a fan controller you can use with the fans.

This is my first new computer in 9 years. I’m running on an i7 860. So I want to do what is best. But I’m on a budget:-)

The easiest and cheapest route would be to run it straight off the PSU. No speed control either.

The next option is to buy some of those Molex → 3-pin connectors and run them from the motherboard. Speed control might be a thing, might not be a thing*.

The next option would be a fan controller. A lot of them will require a Molex → 3-pin adapter too. Complete manual control though.

Fan connectors aren’t actually soldered, they’re crimped, but I feel like it would be a futile effort anyways because of the lack of even just the third wire from the fan.

*Running off of the motherboard may be no different than running off of the power supply, it would hinge on how the motherboard handles voltage control without RPM feedback.

1 Like

off the psu 5v rail is fine.

I would think about picking up some cheap arctic fans from amazon though.

1 Like

The specs say it has a 3-speed switch for fan control. I would probably just replace the 3 120mm fans all together with some updated PWM fans of your choice if you don’t want to use it or your case doesn’t have the fan controller for some reason. It didn’t have the specs for the fans listed but it should be on the fan labels. If the 200mm fan has a low enough rpm range to run on full without it being too loud then it would probably be fine without the switch.

In the end, fans are pretty easy to switch out. So throw them in and test them for noise and airflow. Just don’t finalize your cable management until made a decision on replacing them.

I would try this and test out how the fans are holding up. Like Adubs said 5v line from PSU should be fine.

If you need replacement fans Fractal design makes nice fans that have good price/quality ratio.