Advice on a CPU for my first build

I am struggling to choose between Microcenter’s AMD 7900x bundle and Intel’s 13700k bundle for my PC build. I’m worried that the AMD Inception Mitigation patch might negatively impact Linux performance. I plan on using a Ryzen 7800xt GPU, Thermalright Peerless Assassin, Fractal Meshify 2 case, and Thermaltake GF A3 850w power supply. What do you think? Should I stick to my original plan and choose the 7900x? I’ll be using this desktop for gaming and GIS/Python work.

Hmm, that would be interesting to find out if indeed firmware updates cause performance losses.

I hear where you are coming from and want the maximum performance.

Currently using the 7950x CPU but on a Windows 11 Pro setup and an RX7900 XTX GPU.

This was quite a bit faster than my old 5800x CPU and I think a lot of it has to do with DDR5-6000 Speed RAM running in EXPO mode.

1 Like

Phoronix is tracking this very closely:

Mitigations will happen regardless of CPU now, so I would not worry too much. If you are worried go with AMD since you can drop in a Zen 5 or possibly Zen 6 CPU in an AM5 motherboard, but not so with Intel.

1 Like

It’s mainly affecting database performance which shouldn’t directly affect anything I’m doing and I’m currently using a i5 6th gen so even with this loss of performance from this mitigation I will still a big boost.

Thank you for this, being able to slot in a new chip is a huge selling point.

Either choice is great. I’ve been intel from pentium to i7, but i’m pretty happy with my current zen architecture.

You can’t judge both those options on the known vulnerabilities because there are likely worse unknowns.

A questions is - is 16-cores to much metal or 12-cores not enough.

Thanks, 12-cores should be more than enough. Air cooling the CPU should be fine right? I plan to run it in the 105w mode or even the 65w eco mode.

Yes it should be fine, I run a Noctua DH15 Chromax on my 7950x with no thermal issues.

1 Like