Advice needed on EnGenius AP's & SWITCHES

which of these EnGenius ap’s tx power setting options can be
set to 9 or as low as 7 my current EWS357 (non fit ver) is 11

which reaches the street if i could set to 9 or as low as 7 inside would
be fine but not all the way out to the street.

an which can be controlled an configured by the EnGenius cloud.ai page
an if they can do they require a skykey

an would any of these be adjustable from this setting page

an can the
EnGenius 8-Port Gigabit 802.3af PoE Layer 2 Managed Ethernet Switch, 2 SFP Ports (EWS2910P)

be controlled an managed by the EnGenius cloud.ai page an can i
set up vlan on it ther to for both it an the ap?

I have the 377. It can be controlled through their cloud app. You can also set the transmission power as well as meshing and other things like that.

2 Likes

I hadnt had a chsnce to get screenshots yet but the rssi has been really great for controlling which clients connect to what in the mesh

1 Like

ok thanks

if i understand the rssi setting correctly , setting the dBm level higher from the default -75dBm to something like

-57dBm which is the signal strength avg read 4ft outside my house would prevent or reject anyone from locking on or in on the ssid , or at least reading the ssid info …not sure of the correct description of its function im i close in my understanding if so one biggy question it took me a

few goes to get the current AP up an running especially with the different ssid’s for all my gear an both times during my first an second attempt at setup in which

i had to do a total factory reset both times as i goofed up some things , but before an after any adjustments the config page were the rssi settings are i could not adjust them as it appeared that

the bandwidth steering need to be enabled to adjust the rssi dBm level but the bandwidth steering enable button was an is disabled (what i mean) not that it wasn’t selected but it

couldn’t be im not sure why , it might have been do to some setting i changed or didn’t hence the ref to ( total factory reset both time before an after any adjustments ) any step by step help to

enabling the option to enable the ability to change the rssi setting from -75dBm to -57dBm it would be great.

fyi i dont want or need any 2.4ghz signal or coverage on 5ghz an i prefer ch width set to 20hz verses 80hz or auto , i cant put my figure on the exact terminology on how to describe why

but my older AP (tp link wifi router) had a 20/40/60/80 hz ch width setting an when in the
default (wifi router mode) the 20hz option performed better an made a diff in

constant connection quality an coverage with my WIFI gear but when switching to the bridge AP mode the setting reverted to 80hz an couldn’t be changed while in that mode.

so sticking with 20hz ch width is a must unless some how that the cause of not being able to enabling the option to enable the ability to change the rssi setting.

please forgive if i sound like an extreme noob i learn as i go if i understand.

By running the 20 mhz ch, you have less chances to have interferers that take up airspace from your devices talking. in the 5ghz space there are like 20 channels that you can run if there all in 20mhz wide that is cut in half by using 40 mhz channels and half again for 80. If any of your neighbors are running 80 or 40 But there’s less space for Your devices to talk. Think of it like a walkie talkie You have to wait till someone says over to use that same channel. Channel Planning Best Practices for Better Wi-Fi | Ekahau if you want to read some more.
i dont think changing the rssi settings would do what you want. if your looking to make sure passerby’s cant read your SSID name or info this wont help with that the beacons will still be Heard by devices around -85 What that setting is doing is just saying that Devices can’t connect unless they meet these minimum requirements Those requirements are sent out through the Beacon. Ideally, what you want is to lower the TX power so that the signal is very weak outside of your house. But even then, I would guess, if I had a powerful antenna pointed at you might still be able to hear it

2 Likes

thanks for that