Advice needed for Port Forwarding on my router

Firstly, I have looked this up before posting, both on this forum and just the internet in general and I really can’t find anything that tells me why this is not working.

I have what I believe to be the Eir Fibre F5366s router, the unit was just installed a couple of weeks ago so the unit is new (although I know the model may not be) but the back says Eir Fibre Box 1A 1.0 and it is definitely a Sagemcom unit.
I know that this is specific to my own local provider so I don’t expect anyone to have experience with this particular skew but maybe the same port forwarding system or their own local provider the same Sagemcom unit. :crossed_fingers:

I found this manual here and the manual seems to match the menu exactly so all good there.

I initially I tried to do it myself, not my first rodeo so I just logged in and went to the menu and found this below

and was not 100% sure about the whole internal/external thing so I went looking for a guide or help and I found the above manual and I followed the instructions and nope, did not work. I was using 2 different port forward checking pages and just nope.
I had a think and I realised that the program in question I was trying to portforward was on my unraid server and it was using port 8080 so maybe this would work?

And success, that worked. Port visible and all good… or so I thought. All of my torrents are stalling and I cant download or share anything. So no, not working.

Any ideas why? Any solutions that do not involve me buying a new router so I can just put the Eir router in bridging mode? :man_facepalming: I would really like to avoid that

If I RTFM right, you want the External host to be blank, or 0.0.0.0, or your WAN IP.

You might also need to assign a custom firewall rule to the application to authorize incoming and outgoing traffic to the LAN connection on the port you want. The manual is not explicitly clear on this though. Pg 33, section 3.4.2 of the linked manual you provided.

Doesn’t the message on top say to specify a range. So instead of 61434 I would enter 61434-61434 and instead of 8080 I would enter 8080-8080 and try again, it may be a bug.

Also 8080 is normally used for web interfaces, are you sure your torrent software is listening on port 8080 for torrents and not just providing a web interface for localhost on that port?

Yes, that is it being left blank, not sure why it displays the * but yes I am supposed to leave it blank so I did.
I might try the FW rule, that might be it. Thank you.
When I have it set up as displayed in the last pic it shows up on the port forwarding checking websites as visible and working

Yea I know, I wondered about that but when i put 61434 in both the port forward checking sites said it was not open and the torerents were not downloading either but you are 100% correct, it should not be working as it actually as yes that’s for the web interface

This is the settings for the connection I have, I mean its pretty straight forward but maybe I’m fkin it up somewhere :smiley:

FWIW, you should at least be able to download the torrents without the Bittorrent port being forwarded. What is the docker port mapping for qBittorrent looking like?

Also I had a lot of issues with qBittorrent stalling torrents even when set up correctly so I just switched to Deluge. I also had to use netcat to verify the port was forwarded correctly since the torrent programs wouldn’t respond in a way that the port checking sites would recognize as being open.

1 Like

I’m port forwarding to get around the routers firewall and auto blocking of ports, which it seems to do

I might try the same with Deluge, it has been recommended to be before so I might try that if all else fails, I’ve not had a chance to implement any of the above recommendations yet, swamped right now

I mean that’s just straight up because of private IPs being used. Port forwarding, or rather DNAT as it is called, is required to allow incoming connections to private IPs such as the 192.168.x.x range.

You need 61434 as both your internal and external port. As it stands now it’s sending bittorrent traffic to your web interface for unraid.

Then you also need to make sure docker is mapping that port into the container as well.

Deluge fixed the issue straight away, instantly fixed, I clearly had it set up properly and qBittorrent is just pants.

No wonder I was pulling my hair out :man_facepalming: :roll_eyes:

Thank you all for your help and advice

1 Like

Glad you got it working with Deluge.

I originally used the Linuxserver qBittorrent image on a Pi and that worked perfectly fine but then I moved it to an LXC on my Proxmox cluster with straight package install of it, nothing but stalls and memory leaks when torrents did download. Changed to Deluge and haven’t looked back.