Advice needed connecting Laptop + PC to 2 monitors

Hi everyone,

I need your advice. My wife just got a new Surface 5 from work which she wants to use in her office together with her PC and 2 monitors. Ideally she should be able to just dock her laptop / plug in one cable and be able to use the 2 monitors that are usually connected to the PC.
I have a hard time figuring out how this would to make this work. I have read the KVM guides, but the limited outputs on the PC & Laptop make it hard to know if this use-case would actually work. For my own setup I’m willing to experiment, but for my wife’s setup it should just work.

The hardware:
PC with GTX 970, 1x DP1.2, 1x HDMI 2.0 output
Monitor 1: Asus PG279Q (1440p 165Hz): 1x DP1.2, 1x HDMI 1.4 inputs
Monitor 2: Lenovo G27-20 (1080p 144Hz): 1x DP1.2, 1x HDMI 1.4 inputs
Laptop: Surface 5: 1x USB-C with USB 4.0/Thunderbolt™ 4 output

The PC and Monitor 2 are hand-me-downs from my gaming PC. The mixed DP / HDMI port on the GTX970 has alwas been a PITA to use with dual monitors and is getting on in years.

I was kinda hoping that I could somehow daisy-chain these things together, but that doesn’t seem to be an option.
Then I started looking at the KVM options, but it’s unclear to me if the Surface 5 would be able to drive 2 monitors over the USB-C port.

Closest I could get the config was using the Level 1 Tech Combo USB-C Power Delivery & DisplayPort 1.4 KVM - Dual Monitor.

• The Surface 5 would be connected USB-C to USB-C
  • The PC annoyingly would need to be connected with a DP to USB-C combiner AND a HDMI to DP cable.

Would this actually work though?

1. Is the one USB-C to USB-C cable enough to power both monitors? The product page implies you need two separate inputs. So I would need to split the USB-C into USB-C + DP somehow?
  2. All the info on using the USB-C combiner mentions DP1.4. In this case the output and monitor are both DP1.2.

All of this seems like an awful lot of hardware, am I missing a simpler solution?
I can’t do anything about the Surface 5, that’s work issued.
For the PC I could put my RTX3080 in her PC if I really have to which should have ample connections (3x DP1.4a and 3x HDMI 2).
As for the monitors: it would be a shame to get rid of them, but maybe that’s the only way to get a daisy-chain solution … but how would that work nice with the PC?

Advice very welcome. Thanks!

Sorry you haven’t been replied to yet!

Don’t get this one for this use case. Get the DisplayPort KVM. Trust me lol

It’s true that 2 monitors over 1 wire is a bandwidth issue, however, I see her monitors would be 1440p & 1080p. This should be fine. I would be much more cautious if you were trying 4k.

Make sure you have this firmware update:

Here’s my recommended setup:

Alas, it is rather difficult. BUT not impossible. Don’t get a cable, get an adapter.

Let me explain:
HDMI has 1 less pin than DisplayPort. You need what’s called an “active” adapter that requires power. Anything else is going to be a pain.

This is the Club3D active HDMI to DP adapter I’m referring to. It should work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/Club-3D-DisplayPort-Video-Adapter/dp/B085YBR936?th=1

1 Like

Awesome, thank you so much. This was exactly the advice I was looking for!

1 Like