Advice for new MD Simulation Research/Gaming Workstation (Work from Home)

There are other options out there as well but really depends what you are looking for and how much space you need etc.

I think I can start doing more research on my own. At least I have a starting point now and I can start comparing prices, specs and benchmarks. I really appreciate all of the help and patience the both of you have shown. I’ll know more about the exact nature of my research starting in January and I can start planning a precise build after that.

I thought the same - realworld ie - backorder these at list price (or maybe 5950 - $800… eeks, but the 16 core has not effectively increased in price from the 3950, making it kinda a bargain), & wait… then get serious about ur build when they eventuate.

2x 32GB sticks are the sweetspot on dual channel quad rank AM4 platforms, as these kits maximise the memory capacity possible using the largest mainstream memory chips ( 4 ranks of 16Gbit dram chips).

a heads up fyi is a discussion I had w/ a guy w/ a similar use case, but ~once a month~ had a huge job that considerably exceeded his memory.

he used a pcie 3 samsung pro nvme to virtualise extra memory, & let it run over the w/e.

slow & it looked he may have to replace his nvme periodically, but it worked & got him out of his bind.

Re this preamble & ur hardware selections to keep this option open if it appeals, it bears noting that pcie 4 improves on his paradigm heaps.

I doubt ur work would be bottlenecked by the familiar 16GB/s pcie bandwidth of current 16 lane pcie 3 GPUs.

On ur proposed rig, the same 16GB/s can be had using just 8 lanes of pcie 4, thus freeing 8 precious pcie 4 lanes for, e.g., 2x extra (up to pcie 4) nvme on an ~Asus nvme 4 port adapter card.

to access these free 8 lanes, u need a am4 x570 (much preferred) mobo w/ 2x x8 pcie slots, & to run 2x nvme as above, the second pcie slot needs to bifurcate to a x4 x4 setup in bios.

Others can do this too i am sure, but Asus seem to be least reluctant to admit to this capability. x4 x4 Bifurcation isnt listed in mobo specs afaik, but they list compatible ASUS mobos for their nvme adapter card on their site.

summing up, the other guys ~solution used a mere sub 3GB/s single pcie 3 nvme medium.

Yours, COULD (as an extreme example) be a triple (2x adapter & 1 onboard am4 nvme) pcie 4 nvme drive raid array of up to ~21GB/s (3x7GB/s), with 1/3 the wear, as the load is split 3 ways.

Even a striped pair of value nvme is a big advance on the other guy’s 3GB/s single drive swap file ~solution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.