Adubs Corner

Nice wall clock

2 Likes

I showed you my clock, pls respond.

5 Likes

Ugh. Amazon always pulls ye ol’ bait 'n switch when I’m going through their computer components.

PRIME ELIGIBLE.

Jk :wink:

2 Likes

I’m just being a cheap bastard.

2 Likes

So is Bezos :expressionless:

2 Likes

I think these might actually be coming from microshitter like their branding implies.

It claims prime but you get this

1 Like

@freqlabs

Kinda want your input on this because I feel like you know more than the average bear here. Mirrors or raidz2 for 4x 4tb disks?

2 Likes

I’d do mirrors. Easier to expand later, better performance.

3 Likes

gonna have to do me one of these threads, if I ever clean my room

1 Like

I think you should. Id be interested, clean or not.

dont hide the piss jugs on account of us.
/s

I have stupid shit like my social security card and receipts and packing slips on my desks…

I mean… I have… stuff on my desk… dont look too close.

1 Like

Are the HGST drive worth it? I’ve always kept my drives under 2 tb because in ye olde days, the Seagate horror stories were plentiful. I’ve been a WD guy forever but if I could get a 2-3tb drive that’s reliable, I’d pay through the nose.

I know what a pihole does, sort of. How does it work on a day to day?

1 Like

Only got backblaze to go by, but Seagate seems really good nowadays.

3 Likes

Anecdotally?

I’ve already RMA’d 1 of 2 4TB HGST drives, so not great… Something something blackblaze. I bought one of them from newegg and one from microcenter. They both ended up being the same lot. Flip a coin on which one went bad because I dont know.

I bought a refurb HGST enterprise drive with a 3yr warranty. I’ll let you know how that goes. At work I’ve got 4 2tb WD reds in an ubuntu server and another 4 2tb WD reds in a synology nas. I’ve had trouble with one so those are doing better percentage wise.

For my money I would probably still buy HGST, even refurb, though having done the RMA for both HGST and WD, WD is better.

Wife thanks me all the time because she doesnt realize until she goes to work, how bad all those “free” android apps she uses are about ads. I still run ublock origin because it hides the elements from the now broken ads but its nice to have another layer. You can block anything like windows update (not that you would want to, but you can) or stop things from phoning home, like my linksys router.

Did you know, the WRT3200acs phones home to belkin.com? Now you do.

It wont work on the youtube app or chromecasts because they ignore your DNS and use the google ones. You’d need SPI to block that kind of stuff and I’m just too lazy for that.

3 Likes

You think it’s related to drive size, or no?

1 Like

no because look at the failure rate of the 4tb HGST drives. I just got unlucky.

regardless, I would just go redundant and cheap.

1 Like

I should also state, my drive failure was spin up retry count which I believe to be related to failure of the bearing due to heat (I have no proof of that) but it was NOT sector related.

1 Like

It’s pretty interesting to see things change, as I haven’t touched a seagate HDD since '06 when two failed on me within a week.

I dodged them for a long time too.
But I’ve since realized that 15 year old knowledge is mostly worthless today in that regard.

And that spinning rust is for poor people.

Amazon reviews and backblaze seems to provide good data to make a decent choice.