I’ve decided to upgrade firmware on my old Linksys WRT54GL (v1.1) . I’ve migrated from Tomato v1.23 to DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 .
Before migration I’ve reset the settings of the router (using Tomato admin console) but haven’t returned to the original Linksys firmware.
It’s because I wasn’t sure whether it was still possible, I recalled vaguely that when I moved to Tomato I used an option of completely wipe original firmware from the device due to memory limitations.
As it turns out that was a mistake. Flashing went fine, I was able to get to the setup screen of DD-WRT firmware and create router name, admin login and password. However when I try to access any tabs in the admin console I’m getting a prompt to provide user name and password screenshot
I’ve learned after the fact from this thread that the problem is caused by a different encryption method used by Tomato vs Linksys/DD-WRT.
I’ve tried the 30/30/30 reset but unfortunately it doesn’t solve the problem. I went through the thread on Recovering from a bad flash I’ve also read this thread where Keiichi25 specified some steps on wiping the NVRAM of an inaccessible router.
I’m wondering though whether anyone has run into this particular issue before?
Do you have some suggestions before I go ahead with the nuclear option and try to recover the stock firmware via TFTP?
It’s been many moons since I used DDWRT. Last I used was AdvancedTomato for my R7000 as recently flashed back in 2017.
First, yes you can always go back to stock firmware no matter how much you frack up.
Next, I seem to recall one instance of me recovering via tftp, but no details. Yes, do it.
These devices are fairly robust. It’s all a matter of recovering once you flash.
BTW, I still have my WRT54G v3.1 as a trophy. Stopped using it because of the 10 Mbps connection? Had to look it up… Blogged about it back in 2005!!! Lol
Is this normal/Has anyone else experienced this? Hard yes. Arm based routers are a far cry from the x86 architecture that most are used to and are interesting little machines. It’s been quite a few years since I have switched to x86 based routers, but I use both Tomato and DD-WRT for my access points, and can say that yes, I still run into these issues at times. I con recommend “going the nuclear route” and going back to stock, make sure it works and you can log in, and go direct to DD-WRT if you can. Stock state is what it was built for. If you can get in to clear the NVRAM now, that’s also a good option either way. ARM boxes are traditionally harder to get up and running, but are in my experience, very reliable once you get them up and going.
I did some more research and after about a Week from my original post I successfully went back to stock via TFTP. Then I swapped the Linksys router with a TP-Link WR841ND from my other network. Since the other network required simple LAN based access point stock firmware was good enough.
I flashed TP-Link router with DD-WRT and was able to setup a repeater bridge which was the original goal (had to go around an infamous Error 18005 before it started working but that’s a separate issue altogether )
Bottom line is that the problem got sorted. Thanks a lot for your replies!