Adblocker on The News

So the guys don’t use an adblocker on the news because reasons, in spite of browser troubles, and the fact that half the time we can’t see the news articles because of giant ads.
I have two thoughts on the matter, and I hope that others can ad to the discussion (see what I did there).
1- It seems to be some sort of moral stance of the form: “We receive money from ads served to viewers, so we shouldn’t block ads ourselves whilst hoping that our viewers don’t”. This doesn’t make much sense to me. If there is any hypocrisy, it would be from the three newsreaders using adblockers in their daily computing activities, specifically when they are watching other youtube channels. If google serves and ad to Wendell, say, and he then displays it on the news, which surely has millions of viewers world-wide, isn’t that screwing with the system anyway? If Krista, Wendell, and Ryan wish to forgo the use of an adblocker in their personal lives, they can feel good (I suppose?) about themselves, but surely an adblocker on the news is a different kettle of fish?
2- People giving money through patreon, are now forced to see embedded ads in the news. Is that not double dipping on Level1’s part?

Apologies to those who have made it this far, noone should be subjected to this much of one idiots waffling, let alone this much reading. Nevertheless, does anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? I’m going to go buy some leggings.

1 Like

I’ve always thought that if you have a news provider you prefer, just send some money their way and you won’t need to feel guilty.

2 Likes

The Ad-clutter on news sites has become bad to the point where I don´t bother reading them anymore. Now I am back to SemiAccurate for tech news (am paying them) and my local newspaper.
All the blocked ads are on the advertising companies for beeing obnoxious with sound, flashing images and whole-screen ads (and popups).

1 Like