Ad Blockers - What Do You Use and Why?

Was that not just an older firefox build?

The Tor browser I mean

Yes but its proper ESR so it still gets timely security updates.

If you are worried about Tor Breaking sites because its of its ā€œold feature setā€, you are already are breaking sites with Tor Brower anyway.

Not if I dont use itā€¦ :thinking:

Been using uBlock Origin extension on Firefox for several years and itā€™s been really solid. Very rarely do I have to disable it on a page because of errors, maybe 2-3 times a year.

Overall, very effective blocking all kinds of ads, you can customize it further too.

I had been using pfblocker DNSBL since its early days- it had come a long way in regards to setup UI and then even further with really cool log visualsā€¦ then it became very unreliable for me.

Moved over to Pi-hole in a docker container on the NAS. Pretty much set and forget.

Why: Not so much because of lots of pop-ups (they still happen, no list is perfect) or to clean up sites, but more-so the huge amount of malware google adsense allows through their system.

Even a three letter agrees

4 Likes

which scripts?

Pihole covers more than just the browser.

Some apps / smart TVā€™s might use their own hard-wired DNS provider, but for all the rest, pihole/adguard/whatever can provide a network level, updatable ā€œhost fileā€ effect.

Can also help with wifi devices too

Iā€™m looking into doing the same as well. Maybe a Linode droplet?

I consulted at a large ISP this year doing db migrations and reporting. I can confirm, The marketing departments collect everything on their users they can. I almost picked up a second contract with them upon completion of the first, but with their marketing unit to oversee a ETL process.

Not only do they collect tons from your internet usage, but also Cable TV. Watch time on cahnnels, watch time on add before changing the channels, and web info from their adds or adds from their ā€œPartnersā€.

Partner firms is where the BIG data is. Partner firms collect from everyone, and aggregate that data to sell to potential customers (Marketing Firms etcā€¦)

3 Likes

Do Not Track in your browser settings does nothing. itā€™s merely a header.

Does a good job, and Iā€™ve been using it for years. Also, Firefox containers has been a godsend.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t know how but Iā€™m sure anything is possible.

Its very very light weight as well, I think technotim runs pi-hole on his home lab but also on a fail over pi zero. I have a pi3 and absolutely no use-case for it lately, so I think Iā€™m going to copy cat technotim and try to make a failover setup cause when I reboot my NAS I do loose domain resolution for a window of time.

2 Likes

When this is coupled with your debit/credit card use, it generates a solid picture of you and your habits. Also, location and long term spending to match ads to your income level.

2 Likes

Guess who knows what your Name, address, Credit Card, and your entire History of sites you visit is? Your ISP ! The Marketing departments have so much data itā€™s incredible. Like I mentioned earlier, Some ISPā€™s are also moving into Cell phone space so they can potentially get more about you. Honestly a good reason to run a VPN / PiHole 24/7.

3 Likes

The pihole is unfortunately loosing efficacy over time as more companies start funneling ads through their own servers, instead of 3rd-party ad servers.

examples of this include twitch, youtube and spotify

We need directory level filtering, not just DNSā€¦

3 Likes

I use the built in blocker in brave, not home enough to set up a pihole+Wire guard. No time to maintain it

1 Like

I use Brave Browser or Firefox + Ublock Origin. About 90% of the time Iā€™m on Firefox. Nothing wrong with Brave, itā€™s just blocked at work most of the time (our filter is a totally inconsistent mess) so I canā€™t sync anything.

Of course I know tons of people who donā€™t know what an ad blocker is, so they donā€™t know any better. But once you start using one, the internet feels just unbearable without it. Iā€™d rather just not use the internet if I have to see 3/4 of the page littered with shit all the time.

3 Likes

user agent spoofing to the most common string ā†’ ā€œchrome on windowsā€ should also be considered.

1 Like

I am Pro funnelling ads thru the vendor of the website.

Potentially Less malware, and more chance of malware being detected and the vendor dropping that ad campaign if they habe to serve the ads.

Hosting a box for third parties to fill, seems so much more stand off, and allowing for more bad stuff, imho.

But then, I may have kept saying, itā€™s not the ads I dislike, itā€™s the third parties and all profiling you in addition to the actual site you choose to use.

Edit: editing old post seems okay too, right now for me in UK at 21:55 my time

1 Like

I dont mind an ad or two but trying to browse without being totally inundated with ads is ridiculous.
Evidently they have never considered that too much of a good thing can be a poison.
I dont know about you but i dont buy brands that are heavily advertised.
Nor do i shop in places heavily advertised as well.

And farcebook?
Its a veritable $#ithole with the damn suggested for you ads.

Tesla trucks, vegans, religious tripe, and the like are very seriously tempting me to dump the account.

You tube is getting just as bad!

5 Likes

a1fe5be8f36f3d3ee55ebb2f84070d56ca4017c573eb1a7dc4d8c3a12cebbbeb_1

We are nearly there.

6 Likes

this. the more itā€™s shoved in my face the less I want it.

if i am interested in say headphones for example, I will not be going with crap like beats by dre that are heavily advertised. I will do research and read reviews until i settle on something like a sennheiser or audio technia or literally anything else than beats. But also be careful not to fall into audiofool land where itā€™s diminishing returns and you canā€™t really hear the difference beyond a certain threshold, but thatā€™s a different tangentā€¦

2 Likes