Acer Aspire 3 Ryzen 5 2500U laptop issues

I’m looking for a source for the SATA HDD/SSD cable for the A315-41 model ACER laptop and any advice on installing Windows 7 on this native Win 10 malware laptop.

(ACER sells this model in Europe with an added HDD but I’ve not seen any US versions that do and they do not include the SATA cable unless they add a HDD/SDD – and there is a connector on the system board.)

I’ve updated the BIOS/UEFI to the current version 1.08 – there is no Legacy mode - only UEFI and I have installed Windows 7 in UEFI mode and aided USB 3.0 drivers but I’m still getting a “Windows failed to load” error/driver issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

afaik Windows 7 will not work all that well, if at all, with the Ryzen 5 2500u as Microsoft has basically dropped any new CPU support on win7 for quite some time now.

Sourcing a sata cable might be a bit difficult. You can try contacting acer directly, but I highly doubt they’ll give or sell you one. Best bet is probably to try to find a service manual and figure out the part number to purchase on eBay(if they are even on ebay, that is).

I believe I know what kind of sata cable you are looking for but I’m not sure what they are called or where to get them. They are included with a asrock deskmini 110. I think this might be the same thing:

Verify that connector. I will look at the ones I have at work to see if I can track down a part number.

As for windows 7, its not worth it. Once its up to date it will send the same information off to microshaft as 10 does, while simultaneously giving you no options to turn it down to a minimum. Some were able to get the 1000 series desktop parts working with 7 but if you’ve already given it the USB3 drivers and it doesnt work then you’re likely SOL. There just isnt any option for drivers.

Theres a couple things you can do to windows 10 to make it a more windows 7 like experience though…

For starters you can get rid of that terrible start menu in favor of one more 7 like with open shell.

You can quickly and easily disable the ‘features’ of 10 with shutup10 or alternatively you can do mostly the same stuff via PowerShell Scripts. The powershell scripts are my preferred method but they are aging and lack some updates for the current version of 10.

While I’m not a big fan of 10 myself, its miles better than trying to get a working 7 install on modern hardware. If you’re still not keen on the idea of windows 10 I would suggest linux mint.

Acer uses a straight ribbon cable on this model. This is a pic I found on a Euro (German) website after I finally got the correct part number from ACER.

I wish they used a connector like the one you mentioned - It’s keyed so it can’t be connected wrong and can only come loose one way - as opposed to the non-keyed ribbon cable they used.

As to Windows 10 - the problem is drivers - as ACER will not supply drivers for Windows 7 because Microsoft does not want anyone to use Windows 7 on new hardware – drivers that happen to be for hardware that existed prior to Ryzen (LAN Controllers, Audio & USB, etc.) and does have Windows 7 drivers - you just have to find them! I have two desktops with Ryzen 1st and 2nd gen CPU’s that are both running Windows 7 (with updates enabled!)

Thanks for your reply.

Hi

Would it be possible for you to share the part number as I have the same wish to add a SATA drive.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

This is the part number I was given by ACER support:

50.GY9N2.003

I’ve found a few parts sites in Europe that carry this part but ACER is supposedly sending one to me. (Call their support line @ 866-695-2237)

They originally gave me the wrong part number (42.GP4N2.SV1) which has a different connector and is only for two A515-51G models. So make sure they send you the correct part - if they agree to do so.

Also – on the A316 -41 the connector is under the IO connector cable for the IO board on the bottom right - the M2 slot is between the 2.5 drive bay and the right edge of the laptop.

I hope this helps!

Oops - that should be A315-41.

This is the part number I was given by ACER support:

50.GY9N2.003

I’ve found a few parts sites in Europe that carry this part but ACER is supposedly sending one to me. (Call their support line @ 866-695-2237)

They originally gave me the wrong part number (42.GP4N2.SV1) which has a different connector and is only for two A515-51G models. So make sure they send you the correct part - if they agree to do so.