Accidentally nuked my /home drive

Double check wikipedia, or the SATA org, but from what I remember:

The are supposed to be build with encryption as default.
When you send a “secure erase” and if it is the right status, it throws away the key, and literally couldn’t decode if it wanted to.

Technically you could then get a raw read of each page and decrypt later, but hey ho. It’s better than re-writing to every cell each time

F

Well, it boots up fine into cli. it froze on the login screen, so I just hit ctrl+alt+f3.

Crap, what is the command to make a new user? I know it, but it’s not coming to me.

1 Like

Yout should be able to log in as you, even without a homedir

From HowToGeek:

sudo useradd -d /home/testuser -m testuser

sudo passwd testuser

Nope, it’s saying invalid user and password. So I gotta do this from root. Which is perfectly fine. And thanks for the commands. This ought to hopefully fix everything.

1 Like

Huh, that is new to me.

I guess you used the same username, did it give you UID 1000?

Yes …

1 Like

Quote of the day!

1 Like

Thanks. It doesnt; work like what I expected then. I genuinely thought it would have kept your user records in places like /etc/passwd, but I guess not

Or I fucked up more than i thought. This is me we are talking about over here. I keep breaking linux on my main rig at least 2 a week.

1 Like

How else would on learn? Why would one seek such knowledge?
Necessity is the mother of google searching I guess…

Haha… this day and age I guess. But I’d rather pick the brains of people smarter than me. That’s why I come here instead.

1 Like

Ok, an update to this whole thing.

Got my home folder re-made. Restarted the machine and I login. Everything seems fine, my folders are where they belong, I transfer all of the data I need from other drives. But something seems off. I look at the hard drive in my file manager and EVERYTHING from the previous partition is there. All my files, everything. I was wondering why it was asking me to replace files while transferring.

All my old aps still have all the settings. and i notice my desktop customizations are back.

I"m confused as hell. What is going on? Everything that was in my home folder before all of this happened is back. And all I did after remaking my user and homefolder, is restart, do some updates, and restart again.

What?

2 Likes

The power of linux!

No clue

1 Like

god has given you a second chance.

3 Likes

Aren’t settings stored under /etc or something?

1 Like

No, user settings are in your homedir, typically in ~/.config.

1 Like

Guess what, your work storage that you removed was the one that got long formatted and rewritten. Your TB of cp are well destroyed now.

When you delete stuff off of storage it doesn’t write 0s over them, it just marks the blocks as free to use by the file system. So the data was still there if nothing was written over it.

Now how you managed to link back all the inodes is beyond me, especially since I didn’t read what happened coz am lazy

Nope that drive is fine. Checked it right after that. I had the same idea. I am still confused but in the process of backing everything up as I type.

1 Like