Absolutely Appalled this morning to discover that Wikipedia still doesn't have dark mode

They blinded me and asked for money. Where the hell can I get my own research now?

1 Like

I’ll never understand dark mode

On Stylus there are many styles to darken Wikipedia.

Or, as Wikipedia seems to keep things clean, using an extension such as “Dark Background and Light Text” works really well. And a few lines of custom CSS in user preferences can be effective.

Hello :wave:

I changed the thread category as the wiki category is reserved for actual guides and not requests.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Use a browser extension like https://darkreader.org/ which works great for the vast majority of websites. If there’s a website that doesn’t work with it, you can request a fix for the site.

There’s also an iOS version for safari as well. Not sure about android.

1 Like

Creating an account gives you access to dark mode. I don’t understand why it’s not just a regular option, either, but eh.

I think it’s a result of their privacy policy. Remembering that you’ve set a preference while logged out requires a tracking cookie.

The “right” solution is using prefers-color-scheme which I suspect will be in a future release soon.

Fennec and firefox both have the dark reader addon available but fennec has about:config restored when Firefox removed in sometime around 2014.

Great minds… :smiley:

I use Dark Reader at work and home. Very few issues and if you have any, you can turn it off on that page.

1 Like

Get a Predator monitor with HDR and you need sunglasses with white background web pages. Dark mode for me is a necessity.

2 Likes

For others it should also be noted:

• There are 4 different methods of auto applying color change methods. It’s in the screen you posted, it’d be under “site list” or “more” (I forgot which) next to “filter”. One of those 4 should work at least decently for the overwhelming majority of websites.

• The other reason that darkreader works so well is that it has a big list of fixes for individuals websites. Broken websites can be reported as a github issue. Unfortunately this isn’t well known or advertised, and I don’t know of any tutorials that would help a knownothing come up with a fix oneself (I should make a note to ask around if someone is up for making one). So actually getting a fix may take a while.

1 Like

@FunnyPossum some people are cursed with eyes ( like me) that can read white texts on dark backgrounds better than dark texts on light backgrounds.

When I saw the thread headline I had a mental picture of someone on DuckDuckGo darkmode in the evening doing research, accidentily hitting a Wikipedia link and getting hit with a flashbang and immediately being blinded.

+1 for Dark Reader. I turn it off for sites that have proper dark mode, but my eyes and head are definitely happier and can definitely work for longer. Funnily, it’s the same reason why accountants switched to green paper oh so many years ago.