A399U: Affordable 4k Gaming Monitor | Tek Syndicate

Yeah, they are glass fronted, so they'll be fairly reflective. They're very reflective in very bright rooms when you're viewing very dark images.

They can be like looking in a mirror if the above occurs, however I've had 3 glass fronted monitors for a few years now and it's not that bad, it's more than manageable.

1 Like

Might just be an evolution. the one in my 27" Iiyama is an AMVA+. Pretty decent if its a similar class, far better than TN but still not quite IPS but not miles off either.

You've absolutely sold me on this monitor. I have one question though: I've never used Display port before and I'm not sure if cable quality is a concern. I saw the monitor ships with a cable, is that going to have any issues? If so what sort of cable standards should I be looking for?

The edge shadowing and center being brighter are maybe something to keep in mind for Photoshop work.

Out of the box you will have to fiddle with the color profile and osd. I couldn't be happier. Curiously and is reporting 10 bit color after updating catalyst so idk about that.

1 Like

Make sure your video card has a display port 1.w port and if it's full size or mini display port. Google those things to confirm.

1 Like

I meant 1.2 not 1.w

1 Like

What do you think odds of backlight bleed will be?

What about PWM flickering?
The 40 Philips BDM4065UC seems to have that when using anything lower than 100% brightness (and that's a bummer, as it's cheaper locally than to order this from Korea)
This worries me, as I would be spending many hours working on it.

If I was thinking about jumping on the 4k bandwagon, this would probably be the one. Ive heard others in my office talk about doing so, I'll mention this monitor to them.

@wendell @Logan You guys link to dream-seller's store all the time, you guys ever thought about partnering with them?

I'm quite interested in this monitor, however I'm a little leary about ordering from South Korea. Are there any delays or extra costs with customs or duties?

Any idea what refresh rates are possible @1080p?

Give me a Dremel , wire cutters, a chassis mount connector some solder and a soldering iron and I can have that non-removable cord fixed quick.

as for the edge shading, i've seen other monitors that do that.

Im just wondering where you can find these monitors so i could check out other (smaller and maybe cheaper) models from the same company?

Is there a link of some sort, are they any good?
What's the deal with these korean monitors are they essentially reskinned brandname monitors or what?

It is probably AU Optronics made panel, they make AMVA and MVA. TFTCentral has talked about their panels in the passed, and tested some too.

I'm worried about the PWM flickering, can't really say from the video, something I must see in person.

@wendell

Thanks for the review i went ahead and ordered one..

I look forward to using it.

My video has mini-DP and not the full-size, what cables came with the monitor in the box? I am wondering if i need to go ahead and order/buy a mini-DP to DP 6' or 10' cable in advance.

Remilafo

you will need a mini dp to dp cable for sure. in the box is only dp to dp

1 Like

@wendall

I also just ordered one on the 18th of this month ETA has it from the 25th to the 1st (to Australia) from Dream-sellers Ebay store ($599us = $740Aus). Was it sent with tracking numbers as well? There is no info on how much stock Dream-seller has. It hasn't been marked as sent but payment has been received. I also messaged Dream-seller in the purchase to add in an Australian compatible plug.

Will keep others updated!

20/05/2015 update: Message received today "It'll be shipped out on May 21st."
21/05/2015 update: Picked up from Busan via Fedex and tracking number is supplied! ETA date 26/05/2015.
28/05/2015 update: Arrived and unpacked and assembled (not connected).

@wendell sorry to nag, but any info on whether this uses PWM?

It probably does but there is no flicker that I can discern at 80% brightness.

Pwm is not the problem it is pwm at low frequencies. I moved my hand in front of the display to try to detect flicker that way but at essentially max brightness I feel like the upper limit is the current limited through the LEDs and The pwm is essentially flat.

I couldn't say for sure though.

2 Likes

Thank you for answering!