A399U: Affordable 4k Gaming Monitor | Tek Syndicate

I bought the LG Free Sync one (21:9) and sent it back. It didn't work on 290x.

I'm back to using my 50 inch 4K. The main problem I have is justifying the purchase knowing that Freesync and the new AMD cards are coming (the former I presume will work well when the new cards hit).

Also, hogging the 4K tv is a dangerous occupation... I really need a decent large screen. I think 50 inch 4K is my sweet spot only no DP.

This gives me something to really think about because I'm torn between getting one of these larger 4K monitors or go with a 2560x1600 set up with possibly 3 monitors. I plan on getting the 390x, but of course there is no way to know its performance with 4K until Computex.

I would personally go with large 4K. You can always turn down the resolution.

Just buy a cheap 1080p to display stuff on the side. 21:9 is basically the large 4K split in half vertically, at least that's what it feels like. Placing a big 4K at the rear of your desk also clears up a massive amount of room for keyboards etc, it's basically 4 1080p 20" or so (depending on size) stacked in a square with no bezel. Gaming is really immersive, and most games support it. 21:9 has funny issues.

very nice monitor.

MVA panel, is some sort of a new panel?
i haven´t heard about it yet.

Oh wow this is cool! If I was going 4k I'd get something like this, there just isn't enough over a 1440p for me at smaller sizes. If I had the space I would get this in a heart beat. I guess a 2560x1080 will have to do until I get a new place.

Hopefully the 390x launch will give you guys another reason to mess with freesync in a few months.

Question:

I currently have a 1440p monitor and want to upgrade to this one.
But I have one question regarding the performance.
I do some linux administration via terminal, which will be great on this monitor, but what about games?

I only have one GTX 970, it is not powerful enough for 4K gaming, really. How well does this monitor scale the resolution when running a non native res? Because on my 1440p monitor, when running a non-native resolution, it gets 'muddy' looking when playing games etc.

1080p will be razor sharp for gaming because its a doubling. I played gta v a bit at 2560x1440 and it wasn't bad.
I did some testing on a GTX 960 at native res and it was "okay" if the other settings were turned down.
So I think between being able to swap between razor sharp 1080p and low detail 2160p that will cover your needs.
But it really didn't look terrible scaling to 2560x1440 either.

3 Likes

I think so. I'm impressed by how black it can go but I had a hard time in the side-by-side in GTA V because the crap TN panel in the U28D590D went to "crazy black" a lot sooner on the gamma scale than the A399U

1 Like

How concerned would you guys bee about getting a dud with backlight bleeding, I mean it says on there upto 5 dead pixels, which is probably completely fine unless they are stuck red and in the middle. But backlight bleed can look really bad..

im not sure im still trying to do some researches,
But as far as the review goes, im realy impressed by the monitor, especialy the deep blacks you talk about.

Its hard to find a in dept article about AMVA and MVA panels.
only a wiki article.

With the cord, if I was to buy this I'd immediately dismantle it and solder in a kettle plug. Problem is I shouldn't have to do this :L but definitely not a deal breaker and I'd agree with you on choosing it above the Samsung. And I can deal with some inconsistent brightness distribution and shadowing --- especially at this incredible price point :D but, I'll stick with my twin ASUS VE228s until a 22" monitor of this quality and price comes out (which I don't think will be any time soon). And to explain my choosing of a 22" setup: "its not about the size of the monitors, it's how you use them" ( ͡- ͜ʖ ͡-)

Thank you. I figured mathematically that it should be fine, since it would be four pixels in place of one. But never hurts to double check before putting out that much dosh :)

Just ordered myself one of those. Cant wait to try it out :D

@wendell Hey Wendell, did you notice any crosstalk issues with this display? I've been looking at getting a few of these sort of 39/40" monitors. I had my eye on the Phillips one first but the cross talk thing put me off, and I've heard this might use the same panel.

It didn't look like it in your video, but it can be hard to tell at times, but this is what I'm talking about.

Thanks for doing this video. I've had my eye on this monitor for the past month. I've been trying to find out more about it, but I could barely find decent images of it on Korean tech forums and blogs.

I've heard that they've got a version in the works without the tempered glass, and a remote control like the Crossover 44K 40" UHD monitor.

I repeated the test in the video and got no crosstalk. However, dragging a pure black 1920x1080 background across a pure white screen did produce more 'after glow trails' than I expected. It doesn't do it dragging a white window across a black background that I can tell.
I would say that just means the white-to-black time is much longer than the gray-to-gray time. It's not noticable when actually gaming, though. I've watched a couple blu-ray movies and done a fair bit of 4k gaming now and it's really good. I am probably going to use this display with two 22" 1080p stacked on top for one of my main workstations. So I've surprised myself a bit.

1 Like

In a couple of the shots the monitor looked like it had a fairly glossy finish. Is it like looking at a mirror? Also, that techpriest wallpaper is magical. Do you have a link? :)

I'm stuck between this monitor and another I found:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0037-00008

Both have similar specs and pricing with slight differences.

AMH vs Wasabi:
5ms vs 6.5 ms
167 milion vs 1.07 billion colors
HDMI 2.0 vs 2 HDMI 1.4
tempered glass vs MVA

Does this AMH model support other resolutions like the Wasabi? I don't intend on using 4k all the time.

yes, it even supports running at 2560x1440 in addition to 1080p and 2160p.. All the common resolutions are supported.

The wasabi can't seem to do 4k 60hz

1 Like

Delicious, thanks for testing that for me. That's made my mind up. The crosstalk issue put me right off the Philips and Crossover monitors. I use photoshop daily for work, and the images I saw looked quite bad with the photoshop canvas boundaries bleeding into the dark grey background of photoshop.

I think it also confirms that this doesn't use the same panel as the Philips and crossover displays as they both have the same issues.

When I checked the A399U specs, it did list the pixel pitch of it to be square, whereas the Philips and Crossover displays have slightly rectangular ones. They're about 2% wider than they are tall.

So I think your findings, or lack of finding crosstalk plus square pixel pitch being listed by AMH is very strong evidence of a different panel.

Thanks again for checking it out and doing the review in the first place. I got 3 Shimian QHD 27" monitors after seeing Logan's review, I'd been really undecided on which Korean displays to get, and it looks like I'll be getting 3 A399U thanks to your help.