A Very Epyc Build

Hi,

I would appreciate some input on system solution/ design. This system is well above my expertise and ultimately we will need a professional to head the project. In the interim we are exploring whats possible. There is a healthy budget (< USD100k) for the build.

The key issue is the dataset to be processed is 3.5tb, ideally all in RAM. The client requires onsite processing and will not allow data in the cloud. Ideally, the system can fit in a tower for ease of transport.

My guess at a solution would be a:

• Dual Epyc 7742
  • 4tb Ram
  • 4x 2tb NVME

I would prefer a white box solution in order to break down the system in 2-4 smaller work stations after the job.

Observations:

1. Rack mounted solutions exist but are beasts - not ideal for air travel
  2. twin epyc 7002 motherboards with 32 dimms (32x128 LRDIMM)?

Any suggestions, including left field ones appreciated!

Cheers
Mark

Depends on what form of air travel. There are pelican cases that could protect the server, but it would be check in, not carry on :wink:

It can go in hold, presume needs to be under 22kgs. Nice link, thank you!

Yeah you can drop it off at the airport entrance. I think there’s a luggage weight limit until it needs to be classified as ‘heavy luggage’ and there could be restrictions, depending on the flight. The US Military and bands transporting audio equipment use them for air travel, and they do the job :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.