A tiny rack mount

So I got this.

It’s a switch, a ryzen 2400GE at the top and 2 rockpro64s with satas. They run useful stuff. It has a lot more storage than it seems. It serves me well.

I was pondering if some tiny rack mount format exists for this. I don’t have a hard on for racks I just want to organize it properly. Actually rackmounting is not even necessary I’d be happy with some shelf-like arrangement or just a rack with those rack shelves.

I was thinking of something that fits stuff more or less in this order:

[ [MAYBE A FAN] ]
[ [SWITCH] [SSD] ]
[ [DEVICE] [PSU] ]
[ [DEVICE] [PSU] ]
[ [DEVICE] [PSU] ]
[ POWER STRIP ]

A bag-like handler or strap would also be great.

Any suggestions appreciated.

EDIT: widest device is 235mm (9.3 inches).

3 Likes

Hiding 32TB NVMes in that Elitedesk? :wink:

I’d check some furniture or book shelves. The width of that Pine64 case looks a lot like the the width of the wooden rack I got in my bathroom. And having wooden accents for your hardware also is good for noise dampening.

Some have glass doors and if you remove the rear wall off the furniture, that’s a server rack with basic household parts. If you are the DIY guy, get your drill and screwdriver and give the stuff some air ventilation openings

2 Likes

3x 8TB SATA SSDs, 2x2TB SATA reds on each rockpro.

I’m a software DYI person but not very skilled with physical stuff. I’ve tried in the past but since I’ve never did a good investment in good tools (or any tools at all) my solutions are makeshift at best.

Here’s something to consider:

Don’t make it more complicated then you have to :wink:

3 Likes

One of my dream setups is something like that, small and hopefully efficient. Though I really wish to do that with one or two ARM machine since they’re so efficient. Hopefully fully fledged motherboards + SoC will come out soon for consumers.

1 Like

One work around, is just getting a low rackmounts [for Audio Eq], to situate on a few trays

… Otherwise I’d also vouch on simpler wood-build cabinet DIYs [like Ikea / Kallax / etc.]

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

That’s a bit too tall for my closet but thanks.

Nowadays ARM SBCs are crazy good in performance for the watt but most of them include hacked OS and kernels. The selling point of RockPro64s to me is that they can run mainline stuff which you can install through UEFI as a normal computer provided you have tow-boot. RPis can do that but I want the AES acceleration and the PCI-e slot.

mmm I had the impression audio racks are still 19". Ideally something like a little more space than a 10" with a handle and space for a power strip but I’m not sure about the measurements…

1 Like

I was hoping you’d have a browse on the IKEA website for something fitting your situation :wink: Anyway, here’s what Aliexpress has to offer as “audio rack” ← link

HTH!

What do you mean exactly?

Yeah, that’s the major turn off for me with the most ARM board out today. Though I’m gonna experiment with RK3588 boards (planning to get at least one) to see where we’re at compared to the bog standard Pi 4 I’ve been rocking for some years now. Maybe even get an M.2 to oculink adapter to throw on a SATA card. Or buy one of those cheap M.2 to SATA controllers. Sky is the limit, just gotta look at the wallet and decide hahaha

Again sick setup, love it!

Yes they would be at 19in, but the depth can be had much narrower [esp. comparing to server]

10 inch rack might work for your use case. You could get/print shelves for it. There are some folks on Etsy that do custom 10" shelving and panels, holders, etc. They’re a little pricey tho.

They can look quite refined when completed. (Not my pics)

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/ypa7n2/with_great_efficiency_comes_great_energy_savings/

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.