A rant regarding monitor ports

I couldn't fucking say display ports because that's a fucking protocol

Alright, I've had it. I have way too many dongles here. I've got lots of monitors here, let me break them down by display connection compatibility.

• A409U
    • HDMI
    • DisplayPort
  • 2x Dell 2415
    • HDMI
    • DisplayPort
    • mini-DisplayPort (why is this a thing on monitor side?)
  • 2x Acer x223w
    • DVI
    • VGA
  • sharp 55 in 1080p tv
    • VGA
    • DVI
    • HDMI
  • 24in asus monitor (forget model, in storage)
    • DVI
    • VGA

Can we just consolidate on one or two connection types? I know VGA is mostly done, but seriously. I've got HDMI and VGA on my HP Elitebook 840 dock for some reason. This means I have to make sure all my monitors support all these fucking standards or play with finickey DP daisy chaining on Linux.

Now, let's talk about new GPUs. This is what we should have. 4 displayport, and HDMI and vent holes.

VGA is done. Get over it HP. DVI is on it's way out, and if you really want it, I picked up a DP to DVI cable for $15 at fucking best buy of all places. HDMI needs to stop trying to be a cat6 cable and just do it's thing.

I get that people like to be able to just plug it in and go, but this transition to DP has taken waaay too long.

We're probably going to see almost no DVI monitors in 2017, but that should have happened in 2015.

It also feels like we keep abandoning standards because we've found out that "oh shit, we don't have enough bandwidth" Can't we just parallelize enough so we don't need to worry about it for the next 10 years and call it a day? is bandwidth for 4:4:4, 16k@60 too much to ask for?

aaand /rant.

feels good man.

1 Like

Personally, I feel like all new monitors, TV's, laptops, and GPU's should have Display Port (full sized, pretty please). It supports analog and digital signal, high bandwidth capability, it's practically open-source, and it has a fancy little lock mechanism thing which locks it into whatever it's plugged into (or at least all of my DP cables do), so it doesn't get accidentally yanked out and makes for a better connection, and you just have to press the button down to unlock it.

2 Likes

Yeah, i'm not a fan of the locks. I prefer it to get kicked out than take the monitor to the floor, but that's just from my experience with little kids and dogs.

Only ever happened once. I've learned the hard way to never forego cable management because "I'm just testing a config"

1 Like

VGA is a legacy thing. As projectors in businesses are replaced in bulk, upgrades are expensive.
HDMI and Displayport on everything would be neat.

I feel that the reason behind it is that general consumers are still using old devices that require these old connection types so manufactures are obligated to include/use them because it could affect their bottom line.

Seriously, given the amount of computers I've repaired for people, almost none of them have HDMI let alone DisplayPort. I have to use VGA most of the time and in some cases DVI-D, Luckily I still have monitors with these connections, my LG Ultrawide has a DVI-D and my old Samsung 1080p has a VGA port. If I didn't have these monitors i'd be stuck and couldn't fix the computers, I do that a failsafe which is to install my 550 Ti because It has HDMI but its a pain in the arse to do (especially if the PSU doesn't have PCI power).

So many rants on this forum recently...

Anyways, manufacturers seem to come out with a new display standard every few years because it's better or something, so as long as people aren't buying new products every single year there will always be a need for "legacy" support.

Hell, I'm still using the same DVI cable I bought almost seven years ago now, and that's across four different monitors and five graphics cards.

I thankfully have never experienced that. However, on my HDMI devices, I've noticed that the longer that I own them, the easier it is for the cable connection to become lose, causing the video to act very funny, so a lock would be helpful than, which is why I like DP and the locking mechanism.

Different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, lost a 21:9 monitor. RIP.

I've never experienced that, but all my devices with HDMI are within 6 years old, so they might just need to get enough use. That and I'm very careful when removing them to not bend the plug while it's in the connector.

1 Like