A little teaser of what is to come :)

From what I understand this makes possible a 3D accelerated windows VM on you main desktop. That is exciting. Hat’s off to you @gnif and the people supporting this project.

Correct, it still has a way to go but it is now at a point where it should be usable by most people. Thanks.

It is putting windows in its proper place, in a vm and not on bare metal :smiley:

8 Likes

I’d encourage a Ubuntu/Debian guide as well since some people may be following @GrayBoltWolf’s guide and might want to do something identical in a Debian based distro: Play games in Windows on Linux! PCI passthrough quick guide

Don’t get me wrong, dnf install @virtualization is great on Fedora, but other things on Fedora like Wine just isn’t quite there yet to make it my daily driver distro.

2 Likes

How is the AMD frame buffer copy going ? Has the hardware arrived yet. ? Id consider getting a vega 56 at MSRP for this.

and i hope there will be a guide for arch based systems as well

having a PKGBUILD for it on day 1 would rock

1 Like

This release is not a v1.0 release, it is early alpha and wont be packaged.

…unnnleesssss…

i put on my mock and rpmdevtools robe and wizard hat

1 Like

well ofcourse people are welcome to package it, but as with most projects, packaging it is out of the scope of the development process.

I am sure there are much more important things to focus on right now

Like net nutrality.

Well, if anyone is packaging it down the line in a PPA or RPM repository, make the OBS hook, whenever that’s going to be written, a dependency within the repository just to make it easy for those of us that wish to use this in tandem with OBS.

1 Like

Very nice to hear of a release date. It would be nice for someone to make a day 1 PKGBUILD or AUR package for arch users.

1 Like

So the second GPU would require a dedicated monitor? If so, I could whip up a way to simulate a monitor using a RasPi or an Arduino, for those without a second monitor/fake HDMI plugs lying around. Does anyone want that?

1 Like

if not i will for sure try to take the compile instructions and make one for myself , if it works i am gonna share its gist, then it can be worked on and eventually pulled in when packaging becomes a focus

since i have a raspi laying around … yes … i assume that would work like a fake plug allowing to set any resolution ?

if so… would totally love it
i can get one 2k or 4k monitor… but i am not sure about 2 …

1 Like

Yep! I’ll get right on it. Should be done in a couple of days :smiley:

2 Likes

THANK YOU!

I guess I will be ordering a second graphics card so I can try this out!

Couldn’t you just use two inputs on your monitor, one for Linux and one for the VM. Then just switch back to Linux when the VM boots up? That way if you need to you can see the raw input if you switch inputs on your monitor.

Ahh, yes. But my shitty Samsung monitor has only 2 inputs - a DVI and a VGA. It’s a 1080p/60Hz LED monitor, without a HDMI port. Also, there’s another project I wanted to do which involves RasPis and HDMI passthrough, so this should help me get started on that. It’ll be up on GitHub, those who want could use it.

1 Like

That’s exactly how I use this at the moment, works fine to log in to the windows vm and then use steam or something to stream to linux.

Is there a way to pass the sound from the windows to the linux box? if we are using KVMFR for the video