A little teaser of what is to come :)

@gnif Could you give me a quick headsup about the role of SPICE in Looking Glass? Is it only for handling of input devices?

I might have a proposal how to continue and wether or not we can get rid of SPICE as a component entirely. Although I am not a developer I know qemu features more ways to transfer input signals like so-called evdev passthrough where host and guest are capable of using the same devices and toggles between them using a hard-coded shortcut (L-Ctrl + R-Ctrl).

This procedure ties pretty well together and uses either the always available PS/2 driver or the VirtIO one when installed. Only caveat is that this code needs improvement as well but how would it be if the edges of the Looking Glass window function just like a shortcut to toggle inputs between guest/host? Would that be a possibility for later releases?

I am making use of evdev passthough right now and despite a few missing keymaps on the mouse (and the fact everything is hard-coded), the VirtIO driver currently available works outstandingly well. It might be THE opportunity for qemu and Red Hat to improve these finally, too.

@Karmek, I have only included Spice for convenience, it is optional and can be disabled. The goal of this project at this time isn’t to improve the state of keyboard & mouse input, but to improve the state of video integration with Linux. I personally needed a way to control the guest… so SPICE was it.

At the encouragement of several people I have created a patreon for anyone that would like to continue to support the work I put into projects like this.

This is completely optional and wont give you access to any additional information, etc.
To keep the pertinent information visible I will start posting updates to Looking Glass over there instead of in this thread.

6 Likes

Yes, I know. Please don’t get me wrong. :sweat_smile:
Just sharing some ideas which I find suitable for a seamless experience.

It’s the job of the qemu devs and Red Hat to improve input, I understand that. But since you mentioned SPICE many times and that you can easily switch between host/guest I assumed it to be part of Looking Glass.

It is, Looking Glass implements a SPICE client, but it is optional if you use it or not. Honestly if they fix this one problem with the PS2 mouse, you wont care to use the evdev setup, SPICE is actually very very good and efficient with the keyboard and mouse feed.

It already seems like you have found a high level gl call that let’s you stream the frame buffer at low latency. So what advantages would nvfbc provide at this point?

I’ve published a Fedora repo with patched qemu and kernel. Thought it would be relevant here.

7 Likes

I highly doubt Nvidia would allow it. They don’t want people to use their consumer cards in a Virtual Machine. Why would they allow something that would only benefit for people that want to use their consummer cards of passthrough?

good news

Red Hat have produced a signed build of the ivshmem driver!
http://people.redhat.com/vrozenfe/ivshmem/ivshmem.zip

It is yet to be included in the upstream, but we are one big step closer to release now!

11 Likes

It’s amazing the speed at all this stuff is unfolding. When do you want all this shit?

As soon as it’s convenient! :slight_smile: Thanks again.

Yeah no dramas mate. some time this week after all the tsunamis and shit have passed.

AWS’s DeepLens is probably a first step towards that. Emulating HID input devices is relatively easy… it’s just boil down to the machine learning models used.

Should be easy to train. The goal is (1) don’t get killed and (2) kill as many as you can.

Please don’t discuss building methods to cheat in here… I know it’s just a theoretical discussion but why give people ideas?

1 Like

It gives more reason for Valve to crack down on virtualization while legit users get caught in the crossfire.

Seriously, they want to take this very seriously. They just don’t say that this is the real reason why VAC doesn’t work in virtualization.

1 Like

Yeah sorry for bringing that up before :confused: It was interesting though…

1 Like

Well, that wasn’t my intention - I was merely responding to a question someone else had asked as in “I wonder if this can be done” and I was just pointing out there’s at least one way to go about it.

In any case, my suggestion won’t be cheap so I don’t think you should worry too much about it being adopted. Anyways, apologies, didn’t meant to de-rail your thread. Thanks.

Are you going to stick with patreon? I heard that there has been some controversy with patreon.

2 Likes

So we are just waiting for ivshmem driver to go upstream, the amd issues to be sorted and sgtawesomesause to do his magic on the documentation and looking glass is a reality?

Exciting times.

2 Likes

A release date has been deiced upon. Thanks to @Wendell, @Celmor and @SgtAwesomesauce as we now have things at a point where we are happy to release.

We will be releasing on Thursday the 14th

Level1Techs are currently filming an announcement/release video to coincide and publishing a quick how to guide for Fedora that will coincide with the release.

There will be bugs and problems with the code, but I will continue to support it to try to iron them all out.

Since the code will be available to everyone, others are welcome to also work on the project and submit pull requests via github for any fixes or changes they feel are required.

15 Likes