A Level1 Community Sponsored Overclocking Competition?

I’m having a bit of fun really getting back into overclocking after nearly a decade. I’d like to propose a friendly game…and I’d even be willing to donate a barely used Gunnir Arc A380 to the winner. :gift:

The last really good benchmark result I ever had (for it’s current generation) was on my 2500k.

But like, the chasing 1% turned into chasing .01% so I kinda fell off caring about trying to chase that dragon. We always had hard core overclockers, but like now there seem to be alot more of them. So what am I proposing?

##A good old-fashioned non-exotic overclocking competition!

Using…3D Mark 11, but specifically, Physics scores LOL
I’m sure plenty of folk out there who frequent this forum have access to tons of weird CPU hardware combinations that might be interested in trying to win.

For reference, this category in the Hall of Fame definitely has some attainable spots for trying to win even more glory.
3DMark 3DMark 11 Physics Score Hall Of Fame

##Rules:

Air or Watercooling only!

• No exotic materials, DICE, Liquid N, etc
  • No exotic devices, no TECs or anything with a compressor

The environmental/cooling variables you are allowed to (attempt to) control:
Fans, Pumps, Metal, and Air
Examples:

• If you can control ambient temperatures, like placing it outside when it’s cold or in a walk in freezer or something whacky, that’s acceptable as long as you document it for our entertainment.
  • If you can get a giant car radiator thats fine.
  • If you want to use a modified pool pump or use your swimming pool to keep water or air temperatures low, thats also fine LOL (Linus jab).
  • Air conditioners, while having compressors, are allowed if only they are used to cool ambient air, even if it’s directed creatively.

For the competition, submissions have to be a valid results on 3dmark’s website, not a screenshot.

##Settings:
Free Version only allows P mode, so we will stick with that and run the “Full 3DMark 11 Experience”

Besides, I am being nostalgic right now anyway…so you youngin’s can learn how we did these things “back in my day”.

Here’s an invalid result to set the tone 28,739

Come at me bois! Break out the box fans and the air-conditioners. To anyone living where it’s cold enough to matter right now…you guys get the home field advantaged…I certainly don’t.

If there’s actual real interest I’ll organize this whole thing nice-like.

Interesting suggestion, however I own the full 3D Mark on Steam but I can run just the benchmark you mentioned.

Well maybe I can’t not seeing that option under my version of 3D Mark.

Do you know which benchmark test/tests it is ?

The full version of 3DMark11 is free. They have the download and key available on the 3DMark page under legacy benchmarks.

1 Like

Even better!

It’s literally called Physics Test IIRC

Thanks, let me check it out now.

I think this is named the CPU Profile Test as nothing shows under benchmarks that is named Physics Test.

Tying to run this on my gaming rig and not this machine which is my older Threadripper Workstation.

Yeah its just Physics :stuck_out_tongue:
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D​,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI (3dmark.com)

Looks like the version I have on Steam doesn’t have any ADVANCED tab to review.

When going to the main web site and looking at the Windows editions the full version is showing owned.

I bet the full version doesn’t allow you to chose separate tests to run and it checks them all automatically.