A learning experience tuning RAM on a TR

So I has messing around with the Ryzen DRAM calculator. I know it is not very good but it actually helped me in a way with my RAM on the 3960X. I had to increase voltage to VDDC and the SoC to get my RAM to run at XMP when I initially built the system. I am using 8 sticks of Gskill Samsung B-die RAM. Its a 4, 2x8Gb 3200 kits with stock timing 15-15-15-35. When I was in their I tightened up the CAS and tRC a little. I have not been able to get the 1T command rate since a specific BIOS update tho… Just wont boot… Doesn’t mater what I do cannot get 1t any more since the RAM has been validated on my MOBO… Funny story I called Gigabyte and requested validation of my RAM and it was validated by the next BIOS release. But that is besides the point.

I noticed the DRAM calculator had set higher voltages on VDDC and SoC so I went in and bumped up my voltages by 1 or 2 steps. My graphics latency dropped by 50% it went from 40ms to 20ms. I thought I was getting bad latency due to having 5 monitors but it turns out it was my voltages related to RAM on my MOBO. Even tho my RAM was completely “stable” it was apparently not getting all the power it needed. Any ways just thought id share that in case any one can gain any insights from this experience.

I was specifically trying to keep my voltages (SoC specifically) at the minimum required for stability because a 24 core TR is hard to cool when OC’d and the others because I was worried about damaging components with to much voltage. But that was apparently the wrong move. In general the TR it self is sensitive to voltages. It generally likes its voltage just right not 1 step over or bellow. Remember to test ur various settings is the lesson for me here I guess. Just enough to be stable is not always most efficient.

1 Like

Interesting, it sounds like bumping up the voltage possibly made the automatic training not have to cut back on secondary/tertiary timings.

1 Like

Interesting theory. What ever it did their was no change in any tunable timings.